1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!Vote for this 3 combinations of effects!for 220 u$$-250 u$$

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Langueta, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I am an Argentinian, bass player my sister is travelling to USA
    in only 2 days and I was planning to buy something for my bass recording. I own an ibanez ergodyne edc 705 and I am recording my first cd with a band that plays british rock. Wich are your recomendations if my influences are flea and deacon?I want a tone, to play solid rock lines and funk.
    In south america it is all way more expensive, and we dont have the latest products you can afford.
    GREAT SITE!!
    Pd: I dont have any pedals, only my bass and a 15 watts amplifier of squier.
    Vote for this 3 combinations for 220-250 dolars
    1_Sansamp pbdi= 220 u$$
    2_ Samsamp para driver di= 220 u$$
    3_Aphex Punch Factory 80 u$$+ Behringer v-tone121 bdi 30u$$ + q-tron electro harmonix 140 u$$

Can i combine the aphex, the berhinger, and the q-tron to record or play with my band???
    If so wich sounds can I get???
    What is the q-tron?cause I search in the forum and I couldn´f find precise information.
    If you have any suggestion it will be appreciated!

2. Personally, I would be looking at a new amp :)

EDIT: Just noticed the other thread regarding this same problem :meh: Still... get a new amp :)

3. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Wich amp for only that money?

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Really, this should've been your first thread. And actually, there should only be one thread... but anyhow...

Given the fact that you desperately need a new amp... you'll benefit way more from the SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver more than anything else, since it emulates an Ampeg SVT rig, and works great for studio recording. Until you get the money for the amp of your dreams, it'll solve most of your problems. And it doesn't sound bad through a little amp, either (although when recording, I'd use the SansAmp by itself!).

With the SansAmp, you'll likely find that you'll get enough natural compression out of it to not need a compressor for now, so that rules out the Punch Factory. It's also better-built than the Behringer BDI, so that's ruled out, too.

The Para Driver is smaller and is single-channel. The only difference between it and the Bass Driver is the option of shifting the mids. In general, it's not essential or absolutely necessary. It'd be way better to get the Programmable Bass Driver so you can program 3 different sounds and switch them with the stomp of a switch. So the Para Driver is ruled out...

No matter what, the Programmable Bass Driver is your best bet. Plus, it's an excellent tool for recording - the perfect substitute for the giant 240-pound Ampeg SVT + 810 rig!

As for the Q-Tron... that's a very different kind of pedal than the others you looked at. We've done a ton of threads on it, but basically... it's an envelope filter. It gives you a funky sound that reacts to how you play. Listen to this clip (it's on guitar, not bass... but you'll get the general idea of the sound): CLICK HERE

So just imagine that on bass, if you can. And read more about it in the threads here!

Overall... you really don't need an envelope filter if you're mostly playing rock... you need good clean tones and good overdriven tones. And you said you need a good tool for recording with. The SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver is your best choice, hands-down!

If you ever get more effects, you can combine them however you want. Some of us can get cool sounds by combining a variety of effects at once... and others just use their pedals one at a time.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Boo nails it!

6. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Thank youi very much!Mysitc boo. Ando sorry for the 2 treads I am new here and now I reaize I can edit the threads.
    It seems I will go for the pbdi.
    The rack of sansamp is far away better???what´s the difference for recording to a direct console?

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You mean the RBI? It records about the same, as far as I know, but it has only one channel. One advantage it does have is the Mid knob control, which none of the versions of the BDDI (short for Bass Driver DI) have.

You can emphasize the mids on a BDDI if you roll back the Bass and Treble knobs below 12 o'clock, but having a Mid knob gives you a bit more tonal flexibility. Whether it's essential or not is up to you. The RBI is more expensive, but if you plan on keeping it for a future preamp/poweramp setup, it's not a bad idea.

With either the BDDI or the RBI, you can still drive an independent poweramp, record, or even use it as an overdrive effect with another amp.

8. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    My sister told me she will be going to only 2 shoppings in Miami...one that is of electronics (bost are the most important of miami). It is a guide tour so, anybody now if it is an easy task to find the sansamp pddi. Or I have to order for it a few days before.. Furthermore, if someone of miami can give me some details of those shoopings it will be great

9. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Or would you recomend me to buy it from e-bay and my sister receibe it at the hotel
    It is safe to buy a rack used from ebay?

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Find a programable Sans Amp pedal which should be readily available in Miami and any good music shop. You wont be disappointed, as Boo said, its the best bang for the buck!!

11. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I could get a hundred more, so I have 330 u$$!!!
    I think i will go fot the rbi, rpm or psa....????????
    wich one! help!