Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP w/ Ampeg B3 bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solidius, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Solidius

Solidius

Oct 27, 2005
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm having trouble with my Ampeg B3 bass amp(solid state) and was HOPING someone here could give me a heads up as to what the problem might me. I bought it used at the beginning of this summer, and toured all summer with it. I didn't have any trouble with it until I got it home. I've noticed a distortion type noise whenever I play through it. I have no noise unless there's actually sound coming out. It REALLY just sounds like there's a distortion box hooked up to it or something. When I turn the gain or master up, all this does is make this "noise" louder. It never changes the actual rate of distortion, if that makes any sense. Anyways, I've tried switching cables, I've tried running it through my pod, not through my pod, through another processor. I even tried playing my les paul through it, and sure enough it is ALWAYS there. I'm just trying to figure out how big of a project this could be to fix, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. you sure its not the speaker cab?

you could try going straight to the power amp on the unit

or running the pre into another amp

(Basically try and isolate the problem)

Do you have an active bass? sounds like it could just be an active bass with a dying battery