Help w/ bluegrass bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by boogaloo, Mar 2, 2006.

1. boogaloo

Mar 2, 2006
    I really like bluegrass and would like to get proficient at it on the bass, but theres no lessons online for it. Can anybody help me out?

P.S. I know that is basically a root to fifth thing, but I want to be able to expand on that.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the same as any other style. You start with root-five, then get into scalar or arpeggiated runs. The thing with bluegrass of course is that less is more...MUCH less. It's very easy to overplay.

If you have specific questions, I'm sure any of the grassers here (including myself) can help you out. Are you playing bass guitar or upright?
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    And as soon as you do, you won't be playing anymore bluegrass.

Most of the grassers I know are sticklers for "preserving the art form".
  4. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm pretty sure there's really nothing you can do beyond root-five figures. You can slap the fingerboard on the offbeats, and spin the bass around when you're not playing.
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just a couple of hints

R,5,R,R is a great pattern

When Goin to the 4 Chord Play 2 Roots before going back to one (why because the 5th is the R of 1) See Ex above.

Also Try R,3 then back to the One Chord.

When Going to the 5 chord assend to the 5th of that chord and Down to the Root and back up to the Root of 1, Youe made the sound of the change but that 5th of the scale is in the same place, Or you could look at it like you played a II-V but thats just annoying. this Works Really well at fast tempos.

Dont slap the Fret bord on the Off beat on electric bass! it comes out as a thud/low sound instead of a smack/high sound and really IMHO reverses the basic BoomSwapboomSwap.........