Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help w/bridge sound problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by outofstep, Jan 17, 2002.

1. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    I just picked up a MIM fender jazz the other day... but there is a problem with the bridge... When I play hard on the E string I get horrible electric metal scratching sound... like if you were to plug your bass in after your amp is on... like that electric metal sound... I've changed the strings to the ones I prefer but nothing.. I changed the setup... raised the action, but it still happens, just not as much... I'm not sure what's wrong... any suggestions??? I'd prefer to fix this problem over buying a new bridge... help please..

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Could your string be hitting the pickup? Try lowering your pickups a little.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    :confused: ....don't you mean raise the action a little?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No. He said that he has already raised the action. He may be able to lower the pickup and keep his action from being so high.

5. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    I'm pretty sure it's hitting or coming really close to hitting the front pickup.. the front pickup... I can eliminate the sound somewhat if I turn the volume on the front pickup really far down... but that makes the sound kind of dull...

anyone know where to get standard stock bridges... I've read a little about baddass bridges.. any suggestions???

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That doesn't sound like a bridge problem to me. I would first try lowering the front pickup (not the volume, the pickup itself) before I bought a new bridge.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    He said that the noise cleared up a little when he raised his action though. Wouldn’t raising it more have a chance of completely eliminating the sound all together? I don’t know, Turock knows more than me so...?

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    When he raised it, the string was moved further away from the pickup. If he lowers the pickup it will have the same effect, without making the bass so uncomfortable to play. Also if the pickup is too close, the volume is reduced by the magnetic pull of the pickup reducing the string vibration, which may be causing him to play harder (to get the desired volume), causing the string to hit the pickup. Of course this is all speculation, but a couple of turns with a screw driver is all it would take to find out.

9. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    Yeah. that helped.. I lowered my pickups just a little bit... and reset my action to a more comfortable level and it pretty much cleared it up... there is that occasional pop, but that's just for playing to fast and hard.. I love to rock.. thanks. -matt

10. Good to hear all is fixed. Now you just gotta snap out of the bad habit of digging in! ;)

:D:D

Merls