Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help w/ EMG's in LTD C-304

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TribalisticBass, May 9, 2005.

1. I want to replace the HZ's in my LTD C-304. for a fully active system. need most possible varieties of sounds. What EMG set-up should I use? I need sounds including Dirty South Hip-Hop, Slap Funk, Birth of Cool Jazz, Punk/Ska. I don't mind a mixed set-up if it will help dial in more sounds. Should I replace the B64 EQ for one of their other EQ systems? Should I do the 18v up-grade? If you aren't aware of the C-304 set-up it has 2 soapbar style pick-ups, master volume, pickup balance, and 3 EQ knobs. Little Help please. and Thanks

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Definetly go for the EMG TW (or TWCS as they're sometimes called). They're both an EMG 35CS (Dual Coil) and an EMG 35J pickup in one. It's got a push/pull volume pot to switch between the 2. Both pickups are great pickups so having them both in the same housing should be pretty versatile indeed.

As far as wiring, you'd probably have to get rid of the blend pot as you'd need both volume pots to be push/pull. Keep the 64. I hear that's a great EQ system and once you get those versatile pickups in there, you should have quite the electronics package.

I'd be willing to bet you're gonna need some professional help with the wiring as EMG HZs aren't wired the way active soapbars are.

Good Luck. Post sound clips when you're done!

-Eric.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a C-304 as well. Great bass. I once was in the same position as you and decided to swap the HZs for a set of DCs. It required a new volume pot and cutting the ground to the bridge. The DCs were nice pickups and would probably work well for you. However, I noticed a loss in warmth with the active setup. I switched back to the HZs and realized that they were just right for me. It worked out well because I sold the DCs to a friend for almost what I paid for them and I did the work myself, so I wasn't out any cash. Anyway, the DCs are great pickups and, IMO, the HZs are too. It's worth a shot to see if they are right for you. Oh yeah, if you go for active EMGs, definitely do an 18v upgrade.....much more headroom. Good luck.

4. It looks as though I could have room in the body's cavity to drill a hole for the for the balance knob. Is that advisable? I was definatly leaning toward the 18v upgrade no matter what set-up I was going to go with. I was really just wanting imput from other bassist on the effect & difficulty of the procedure. Also I have one of EMG's pre-amp boosters just sitting around from my guitar days can this be install in a bass to achieve overdrive without a pedal, and without killing the circutry of the other electronics? I am crazy and will be post all question here before I acctually do this stuff to my bass. So feel free to tell me if that would be a dumb idea. Thanks for the imput guys. I seriously doubt that I could be much help on anything but if you think I could help just ask. I usually have opinion although not always a good the best, and not always yours. I'm headed over to the EMG sight to check out the suggestions I've so far. Thanks Guy/gals. Bass player chicks are so HOT.

5. ///// 10 mins. later////Just got back from the EMG site. The TW sounds like it might serve me well, as far as availible sound. Becuase it is two in one with a CS built in with a warmer tone as one of the two. I fear that the DC could get a little muddy for what I'm looking for. they say that the 35J has a jazz bass sound. Do you guys think that this could help me dial in the birth of the cool sound that I mentioned earlier? I need clarity most of the times thats why I'm leaning toward the 35J. I also warmth all the time Hence the lean toward the TW. The TW, CS, DC, and 35J all suggest the 18v up-grade. I haven't ordered anything yet so I Still don't mind imput on p-up selection. Although imput on placement for a set with a 35J and a TW would be nice. I am not familiar with what placement could do to the sound of each of these p-ups. Rock on guys. :bassist: And who said bassist have to play only the root of the chord.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Thanks for the pointer to this thread Trib!

I had two 40DCs in my bass, but found the one in the bridge position to harsh. A switch to a 40CS at the bridge fixed that.

My fretless will have a 40J at the neck and a 40TW at the bridge, when they finally come available! It's taking long enough that I may just get another 40CS for the bridge and leave it at that.

Both of my current basses are five string Spectors. the NT is fretted, and the BO is defretted. I upgraded to the EMG BQC from the stock BTS so I could get the variable mid, which comes in very handy sometimes! The BT is a bit more agressive tone circuit, it that's what you're looking for.

I'm after a 4 string Spector with a an EMG J/EMG J set up, we're not yet sure what the preamp is in it, it may be a Spector circuit, we'll see!

7. Rev.I think the TW is a J and a CS in the same casing. interchangable through the coil tap. if your looking for a 40TW I think I saw some on this site: thebassplace.com I was there hunting out a 35TW. I didn't see any but I did send an email to check with the guys there just incase I had overlooked them. :cool: How did the DC work out in the neck position? I'm not really sure what kind of sound it will have on my all maple body. The P-ups acctually will be sitting in the neck-thru section of the body wich is 5 piece walnut/maple.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hi Trib, both my Spectors are Maple, the DC sounds GREAT in the neck spot, nice and beefy lows! Just too much high end in the bridge spot, the warmth of the CS tamed that some! Yes, the TW is a J and a CS in the same casing, I personally just don't see the need to have two TWs in one bass, though I'm sure it would sound cool!

I'm trying to purchase through my employer, and get some for some customers, so I'll persevere...but thanks for the link!

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Come on peeps, I thought you were paying attention. I linked to THIS SITE and if you click on it it'll explain everything. Basically it has 2 coils inside. You flip the switch and it goes from being just a single coil to a dual coil. It gives different sounds for each. I love my 35Js but I figure singles and duals for both pups can only be more versatile.

18V Upgrade: Only do it if you have an EQ system. If you use tone knobs, it does very little if not nothing to your sound or headroom.

If you have the Afterburner (+20 Gain) knob, you might not want to use it. As far as I know, it wouldn't hurt any electronics, but it might fry your speakers. It might give you slightly overdriven sounds, but could potentially blow out your speakers.

-Eric.

10. EZ1-
    With the imput of you and Rev. it sounds like my best bet would be TW in the bridge/DC in the neck. If I did this, Can I add a spot for the blend control? The booster I would use is a PA2 not the after burner. The PA2 is a adjustable toggle w/max boost of +15db. I would probably set it for about +8db. I wasn't trying to ingnore your suggestions, only wanted to get imput from others. Opinioins vary. I just happen to agree with you. Please feel free to give more imput. My knowlege in spelling & pickups is limited. I value all opinions. I like the idea of having a blend control. Can I do it? :ninja:

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I don't know if EMG would be able to help you as I've never seen wiring diagrams for something like that. You'd have to wire the Master Volume to the Push/Pull pot of the TW pickup. Then you'd use the hole where the DC's volume would be, as the blend pot. Not sure how you would go about doing it, but it could work. If you're not completely sure you can handle the wiring and soldering, you need to go to a respected luthier and tell him what you need done. A standard pickup installation (including wiring) shouldn't cost you more than $60.

-Eric.

12. the cavity looks to be pretty large. I was thinking of not having a master vol, but having the push/pull vol, and the DC vol, in their respective places, and drilling a hole for the blend pot. I would prefer to keep the volumes at a set level and use the blend pot to dial in the sounds I would be looking for on the fly. My thinking is that I could get the sound I wanted quicker during a live preformance, if I wired it that way. I might be over-reaching with that. It just sounded easier than standing there turning two knobs while the rest of the band was being impatient, as bands tend to do.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I don't think you can go Volume-Blend-Bass-Treble with the push - pull pot. I think you're going to be volume/volume/bass/treble...Contact EMG support, they may have a way to do it.

I'm not drilling a hole for my PA-2, I'm going to have the switch left in the on position and then installed inside the control cavity...no need to switch it off, IMO...

14. to the guys who have been helping me out here: you can check out a few of my bands songs on the web. But I must warn you we recorded in an apartment, for free, w/DI boxes going from instrument straight into the board. we were offered free time so the guy could learn how to use his first multi-track. You can listen to 4 tracks of the CD we recorded with with this guy. there are links to buy. but there aren't any for sale becuase we were going to re-record the whole thing because it doesn't do justice to the music. The site is also under construction so to find the tracks hold your cursor over the tribal jams button in the upper left hand corner of the page. a box will apear with the mp3's. I will also say I used my Takemine acoustic on the hole CD. Here is the address: www.tribalisticdayze.com Hope you can understand the vibe. these are also some of our older songs I do believe we have only gotten better with age. Track you can listen to are Drinking With the Moon, Love,Love , Let Loose, and LoveGun. Not the Kiss song. I wish you could here Running From Nothing because it was probably the best song on the hole CD. Sorry for the poor sound quality. I just went to the site and it looks like you may also be able to listen to Sink some descent bass work on that one IMO

15. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :D :D :D :D
    Great news for the deal hunter. I just bought my 35DC on ebay for $89.99. Guess I know what I got for the neck slot on my bass. :hyper: I guess thats the best part about being online 3:00 am. I had just looked on ebay last night, and it was a nogo. Don't worry it was Sealed NIB w/all the vol tone and quick connects. Don't like the idea of buying used pickups. Kinda like buying used underwear, it stinks :D No luck w/35TW. EZ1 gave agreat link to get one at a discount price, or atleast less than retail. Thanks EZ1. Probably have to wait till my next check B4 I can afford the TW anyway. But I saw the DC and couldn't resist. Thank you all for the help.

16. So guys I have abandoned the idea of the hole blend control. the more thought I put into it, the more I realized the fact it would be a pointless hole in my bass. I still think I'll be adding the PA2, and probably the PI2. PI2 are only able to be added to one P-up so I'll probably put it on the DC. Thanks again. No Idea when it will all be done will try to make sound clips availible after it's finished. :cool: