help w/ gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pigpen02, May 30, 2002.

1. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i just got an swr sm-500, and i would like to use my art nightbass effects processor w/ it. how would i go about hooking them up? will the two preamps running together sound bad/awful/destroy tokyo? thanks.
  2. I am not that familiar with the particular amp you are referring to (or the preamp for that matter), but I hate for posts to go completely unanswered, so I'll take a crack at it.

First of all, the bad news. Dude, if you're hoping to destroy Tokyo, you really need to find one of those "Godzilla" bass amplifiers Those put 25,000 watts into 25 speaker cabinets, each of which contains an 18, two 12's, and a horn. They're a bit bulky, what with all those racks of gear and the multiple speaker cabinets, but I think they come with a roady in the purchase price. (You might try eBay.) But, no, I don't think your current setup is gonna getcha there. Sorry.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's deal with your question about hooking up your gear.
    Sure, it is possible to take the full signal directly out of the preamp and plug it right into the input of your bass head. But, it's not a good idea. You'd have to monitor the level very carefully or you'd overdrive the input and get some distortion (and not the pretty kind). If you need distortion, use a distortion patch off of the Nightbass. Also, another disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to hear the preamp tone that was engineered into either of the units if each one was coloring the other.

A much better solution is to bypass the preamp section of your amp entirely and plug directly into the power amp section of your head. Although the SWR gear doesn't have a "Preamp out" and "Power Amp in" jack, they do have an effects loop which, from my experience with SWR gear, does the same thing. Take the signal out from your Nightbass and plug it into the effects return jack. On my SWR Bassic Black (and I assume all SWR stuff works the same way) the "blend" knob for your effects loop becomes a de facto mixer control. You can still plug something into the amp channel, and then just turn it off by turning the blend knob all the way to the right. In other words, 100% clockwise = all the signal from the effects devise, but none from the bass amp input. 100% counterclockwise is the opposite. Halfway has them both on equally. I would keep this amp plugged in next to the TV with my Sansamp PSA-1 serving as the preamp to my bass, and would have my keyboard plugged into the amp channel. If I wanted to get a quick tune, and was too lazy to break out the tuner (i.e. most of the time), I'd just turn on the keyboard, turn the blend knob to halfway, and play both the bass and the keyboard through the amp at the same time to tune up.

Hope this helps.
  3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i've personally witnessed the destruction of tokyo, by my uncle, and judging by what he put into it, i think the amp will do just fine.

strange but true: my family is very odd, and my uncle is an old film buff, so as a birthday present, my aunt and co. built a scale model of tokyo for him to destroy in a pair of big green lizard therapist says soon i can pee by myself.

anyways, the swr sounds sweet, got a big bertha for it to push, lots of honk!honk! through it.

thanks for the help. i've been just playing in my bedroom w/ the art and some headphones for years, and need to have an amp again, but am retarded when it comes to hooking things up. thanks.