Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help w/ indentification

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B. Graham, Apr 7, 2005.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hey Folks,

Might have a chance to pick up a bass for very little money. I've not yet seen the bass in person, but the orchestra-mate cellist who's selling it send me a few pics.

Would anyone be willing to take stab at helping me identify it? Prior known ownership of it dates back about 25 years. The seller doesn't know if it's carved or not. The label inside is long gone.

Here are two images. I have a few more if you can accept large attachments.

Thanks.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does anybody besides Wilfer do that curvy thing near the button?

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Juzeks. Of course as Ken has posted, they were one in the same.

My (probably) Juzek has the same.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Christopher's do that too, but I don't think that Concord Group (who builds Chrissys) is 25 years old.

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Not sure if it's plywood. Haven't seen it personally yet, and the seller doesn't know.

I'll find out more as soon as I can.

6. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    It looks like a Plywood German/Czech Bass. Several Makers/brands have used that design in the back since the late 1800s Bohemia. Lang supplied many plywood Basses for Juzek as well. Roth brand Basses have it too on the back of some.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe it's the photo, but that looks like a rosewood board. Which is nice, but probably would not have been put on a carved bass. I had a rosewood board on my Kay and I liked the way my Kay sounded.

9. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been told by the seller it's a rosewood board, and it looks like one to me too.

10. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    The last pic I have:

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    With the Brown streaks in the Black I think it is Ebony.. Macassar or Brown Striped Indian or Africian. More pics of the FB will tell me more..

12. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'll see if I can get some more pics. The lady who's selling it knows cellos I guess, but may not know a great deal about particulars. She said rosewood, but that may be because the fingerboard on the bass is not as black as the board on her cello.

13. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I've looked over some of the Wilfers I have and it seems that he only uses that back design on carved models and then always (at least on 5 basses I just looked at) incorporates the name Emanuel Wilfer within the design. His plywoods and hybrids have a much simpler back design. I do have Karl Hofner basses that have designs exactly like this one shown however truth be told I believe the Hofners actually come from Wilfer but thats for another story.

14. As everyone says, that crest type purfle deign is on many German and Czech basses including some better quality laminates. If you had a better shot of the FB, it would help, but it might be a lower grade ebony with alot of brown figure in it.
    My bet would be Czechoslovakian.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    E.Wilfer is the latest.. There are a few other Wilfers making now as well.. Older Wilfers included WBW, Wenzel B Wilfer and in the 30s-40s, Anton Wilfer... The three Wilfers I mention have been the suppliers to Juzek in succession since the 30s.

16. rftbass

rftbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Waterford, CT
    Reminds me of the Anton Schroetter - Germany #6056 - plywood I got in 1966.

17. Possibly a hoffner? Kids up the road from the school I went to had something that looked like that...

My 2 C worth

18. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Wilfer, Schroetter, Hoffner, Juzek, etc. have been mentioned thus far. Is there a price range that's reasonable for these basses? What would be a good deal?