Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help w/ new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by somethintosay, Aug 18, 2001.

1. i just got a 5 string ibanez ergodyne eda and when i play the b string open i get a buzz. what should i do about it ?

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The bass is not set up properly. The buzz is probably fretbuzz, caused by the B string hitting some of the frets higher up the neck. You need to adjust the B-string - possibly adjust the bridge, or the truss rod - or bring it to the music shop where you bought it from to get them to set it up properly for you, as you have just bought it.

3. thanks for the quick reply but i bought it from guitar center and they dont do repairs . oh and i can hear the buzz coming from the nut so i was wondering if there was an easy solution

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ditto on the setup. A good setup should take care of any buzzing you are having.

Coming from the nut??:confused:

5. the buzz is coming from the nut so i think it may not be the right size or something.i'm still using the strings it came with so its not a string size issue. but not sure what i should do. help is appreciated!

6. buzz from the nut sounds like buzz from the first fret.. try shimming up the nut (put something under it) if the buzz is near the nut, adjust it, if it is in the middle, that is a truss rod thing (I wouldn't suggest adjusting that unless you know what you're doing :D) and if the buzz is near the neck joint, then adjust at the bridge.. if you mess with the bridge to fix a buzz at the nut, then you may cause more problems.

:eek: Oh, I just thought of something.. have you made sure that the strings are installed right.. if there is not enough tension accross the nut on the B string it may be vibrating itself out of the nut. Make sure that you wind it down the peghead: like so:

That... may make sense :confused: :confused:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it only buzzes when you play the open string, it is more than likely a problem like the one that Hawkeye is describing.

You can check this out by holding the string down behind the nut while playing it. If the buzz goes away, that is the problem.

It is easily remedied by unwinding the B string from the tuning machine and winding it again with each wrap lower than the first. This will force the string to break across the nut at a greater angle, which will seat it better in the nut.

That is, if whoever installed the strings left enough string to wrap it properly.

8. Hawkeye? :) :) ok, why not :D

Actually those are my initials.. which I am sure is very uninteresting to anyone out there, but that is where TB name came from: HWK II :) I don't have an imagination :)

9. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    HWK2: Your initials rather sound like a bomb or something..

The new HWKII atomic missile...

you understand ?

David

10. LOL I've always kind of liked the idea of becomming a Luthier so I can put those initials on a bass.. HWK looks pretty cool engraved into my own headstock design (kind of a cross between a MM and Fender) but that is just my ego talking :)

on a side note, there is a Hawkeye I and II munition used by the USAF.... What can I say, I da bomb :) lol ok that was bad :rolleyes: :eek: