Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help w/PA for V-drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My drummer has a Roland V-Custom electronic drum set that he uses in his room and for recording, and recently he's been thinking about using it live. He would have to get his own sound reinforcement system because most of the places we play wouldn't have an adequate PA to handle the drums. I'm guessing he would basically want his own PA, but how much power do you think he needs? He said his parents would help pay for it, but he's not sure how much so his budget is as of yet undetermined. It'll most likely be between $1000 and $2000 US.

2. My band's drummer has the same setup. I can check with him at practice tomorrow and find out exactly what he's using. It sounds great, and he has played out with it quite a bit.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nothing like being able to turn down the cymbals!
    Gotta love it.

We use a Mackie 16 channel mixer into a PV power amp w/ Yamaha speakers at the moment. I don't think the whole rig cost over $1200. Of course, I go used where possible.

We're thinking of adding sub's, but dang if'n the Yammys don't pump some serious bassage... haven't really felt the need to upgrade yet.

what kind of music are you guys playing? I'm wondering if we're going to experience any V-prejudice if we try to haul them into certain venues.

don't have a PA pic yet, but this is the VPro set we're using:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/christianson10/Xush Studio_files/vdrums.jpg

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I know exactly what you mean. We've practiced a few times with the V-drums and I thought it sounded better than an acoustic set because all the levels could be set to sane levels.

I've heard Yamaha club series cabs used on a few occassions and must say they perform rather well for their price. I'm pretty sure my drummer would want a sub or two because he really likes that chest thumping oomph they can give you.

We play rock mainly. Not too heavy and not too light. My drummer used his v-drums at a frat party with his hip hop cover band and most people thought it was pretty cool. I guess some people might not appreciate electronic drum kits but I say screw them. :D

5. I was a doubter too, until I heard them. I guess my thinking was that it would sound too fake, but they blew me away the first time I practiced with my new band. I don't know why more drummers don't go in that direction, except maybe the cost. They're so versatile, and are perfect for anything, when used correctly.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree. As long as you have a good enough PA V-drums sound great. And IMO they record better than acoustic drums unless you have a really nice studio.

7. Okay, here's the info I promised you. Our drummer is using two Mackie SR450 powered monitors, and a Mackie subwoofer (he only has one of the SR450's at practice, and I haven't seen the subwoofer). When he bought them, the SR450's cost around $600 each, and the subwoofer $700.

But, he suggested the following website:

http://vdrums.com/news.html

This is the unofficial Roland V-Drums website, and he raved about it. Maybe you can find other PA suggestions in here, among other things.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My old drummer and good friend plays a roland V-custom kit, he used to use a 60 watt peavey pa with Cervin Vega 15" bins.