1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP w/ setup and Stage sound.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rob Rogers, Oct 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    I use a Eden 550 cab and a older Eden 8x10" cab. I have a reissued 53 Fender Telecaster bass with a Seymour Dunkin double pole pu, ala Dusty Hill. I started using a New Sansamp.
    Using Sansamp to dial in distortion per live ZZ Top bass distorted sound.
    ISSUE. I turn up my volume and tone on bass all the way up. I am getting the attack sound I want ,but I am getting a metallic clacking sound. When I back off the tone and or sound I loose the attack I want.
    I have tried backing off the Sansamp but I still am not able to still get the distorted attack sound.
    Please ,any kind of advice to get the Live ZZ Top sound for any specs, amp or Sansamp settings would be greatly appreciated.
    Trezzhombres.com
    Thank you Rob

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Hard to diagnose this one. Definitely run your bass by itself without the "Sansamp" pedal/preamp in the signal path and see if you can get your bass sounding good on it's own. For the Eden head, make sure the Enhance knob is all the way to the left, the Gain is set high enough and all other tone knobs are set at a "neutral" setting - no cuts or boosts. If the bass tone itself still sounds bad, try another amp head and cabinet. Your bass could be wired incorrectly, a pickup is sounding bad or your settings across the board are holding you back. What "Sansamp" pedal do you have? The Bass Driver DI by chance?

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your strings are probably hitting the pickup. Improve your right hand technique or get a pickup cover.

eJake likes this.
  4. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    Yes, the Sansamp Bass driver DI.
    As far as without the SansAmp, I used amp only and still had the same noise. The main reason for Sansamp was trying to get a distorted sound.
    The Eden was very clean. I also thought of using flat wounds.

5. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    As far as strings possibly hitting PU,that I agree with to some extent. I have PU down into body as far as possible. I play very aggresivily and I use the plucking for a time measuring for keeping time .

6. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I would never guess the ZZ Top bass tone would require aggressive finger plucking. Perhaps a more moderate touch is needed here and the problem will fix itself.

The Bass Driver DI heavily scoops the midrange. I would suggest keeping the blend knob as low as you can get and never increasing the Bass or Treble knobs. Increasing those will increase the midrange scoop. A different bass OD pedal with a built-in blend might be the better move and would be easier to work with.

7. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    I double checked. I do have a blend knob on my SansAmp. Which OD pedal could you recommend instead of the SansAmp?

8. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Vintage Microtubes – Darkglass Electronics

Great blend, just a touch of dirt and very musical sounding. No giant mid-scooping or issues to fight with. Granted, I am not 100% sure what your end result tone goal is, but you will find that this pedal will let your bass tone come through a lot more and be easier to work with. Take your bass, head to the best music store you can find (road trip!), and try out some bass specific OD pedals with a Blend knob.