help w/ slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Funked Munkey, Jan 10, 2003.

1. when i slap then pick, i usuakky can do it pretty well, but when i slap then pick on the same string, i lose the sound of a slap because i'm bending my hand in such a weird way can't hit my thumb against the string "hard" enough, or i hold my thumb down too long while trying to get my finger o\to the string, any help? my instructor and i have some language barriars, and im bad at explaining things, so i probably seem like a rambling idiot...ya...
  2. First, this should be in the technique forum. Second, do you mean that you slap and hold a pick, or did I read the post wrong (which is very likely)?
  3. sorry, im new here so i didnt see an idiot:( but ya, you read wrong, or i wrote wrong, or something, i meant slap, then immediately after, you PLUCK the string, so ya, i wrote so ashamed!:(
  4. I got it now, and don't worry about the location, it is easy for the mods to move it if they want. The main problem with having it here is you might not get as many replies.

Now with your problem, as I understand, you are having problems with the transition between slapping and plucking on the same string. My only advice would be as you bring you thumb up out of the slap, just rotate your hand up so that you plucking pointer(or whatever you use) should come down and hit the string in one smooth motion. If that seems hard at first, just do it slow and see if you can get it. And if this is still a case of me missing the point, let me know.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'll move this on over to technique.

no sweat :)
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

My recommendation would be to put your plucking finger in a position where it is already in a position to pluck after you slap. Almost like you are making a fist with an extended thumb. If you rest your thumb and finger on the string in this manner you would be touching the string with both of them at the same time. You can then see how it would take very little motion to perform a slap and pluck. It doesn't take much effort to do it correctly when you get it down, it just takes practice. If you need to really move a lot to get a good slap then you should practice on improving that aspect as well. If you are doing it right it will look like you are hardly moving. It will look sorta like you are just waving your hand over the bass and a flurry of notes are coming out. Its actually kinda cool. :)
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    my recommendation is take lessons from me. im in morro bay
  8. two things, thanks, ill try your advice, and what a coincidink, morro bay, wow.:p
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You should be! :mad:

a tee hee. I don't know if anyone recommend this already, but do a search. There are so many threads on slapping already it's unbelievable. If someone went through and archived the valuable information about slapping on Talkbass, we could put it in a book and sell it. We'd make billions... or maybe... millions. MUHUHUHUHUH HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :p
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hmm..I live in CA but am ignorant to morro bay. Where is it?
  11. central coast
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been to morro bay(I think...I've been to san luis obisbo many times and to the surrounding area)....I'm not a big fan of central Cali...but I'm so deeply in love with California in general that me not being a big fan of Central Cali isn't necessarily a bad thing :D

So. Cal is the place to be.

good luck with your slap tech. I can't really offer any more advice other than whats been said.
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    me and my family are originally from san bernardino, ca. and let me tell you, we were quite happy to get the hell out of socal:D
  14. what was so bad about socal?