Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help w/ Warwick Thumb BO set up. please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by billparks, Feb 18, 2006.

1. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    I recently purchased a used Warwick Thumb BO (4str) and when I removed the strings to change them and wax the bass, the saddles fell out as I didn't know they were not secured when the strings are off. Anyhow, I re-strung it and then noticed that the G string had a wider spacing than the others. I don't recall if it was that was before but the G is a bit weak now.

Can someone give me a few set up pointers on spacing and bridge set up? I am using Warwick Black Label Strings.

BTW I have had some very fine instruments over the years including a Signature Tobias and this Bass is by far the most awesome Bass I have ever owned. It doesn't have a lot of tonal personalities but the tone it produces is all I'll ever need.

Thanks in advance
    Bill

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The saddles on the Warwick bridge are in two parts - a holder and an individual hardened steel saddle. The hardened steel part is held in the holder by a set screw towards the neck side of the bridge. If you loosen the set screw you can move the saddle piece left or right to set your preferred string spacing. Lock it in place with the set screw.

BTW, your saddle pieces should not fall out when you unstring. The set screw is supposed to keep them in place. Check that all the saddle set screw are tight.

Or maybe you have a Warwick bridge I am unfamiliar with...

3. billparks

billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    No that is what I have. I was wondering why they fell out. There was enough tension to hold them in laterally but the screws were not torqued. I guess my question is how do you go about setting spacing (besides even intervals by eye) - are there tonal nuances that are affected? I have never had the luxury of this adjustment

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Don't know if you have it, but here's the link to the Warwick manual: http://www.warwickbass.com/manual.pdf

The explanation of all the bridge adjustments is near the front (Pg. 4 or 5).

I'm not aware of any tonal changes that would occur due to string spacing. I just set mine to about 19mm (3/4") center to center and forgot about it. Until now.

BTW. Nice score on the Thumb, and welcome to the Warwick club.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I agree with Groundloop - no tonal differences related to spacing. I use a set of dividers set to the desired spacing, and measure centre to centre. Some argue that you should meassure the space between the strings, not centre-to-centre. Take your pick...