1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help w/wood choice for my bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spicolli, Mar 25, 2006.

1. spicolli

spicolli

Mar 13, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Alright,
    I wanted to have the body of my bass to be a solid piece of figured black walnut.But....fred said it might be hard to find a highly figured piece that big.So,i was thinking on going with a figured black walnut top,and for the body....?
    I need to either find a dark wood that will blend well with the black walnut,or a peice that would match the fretboard and pick-up cover (figured maple).
    I'm trying to go for a dark vs light look.I origanally wanted the body,and headstock cap(black walnut),and the the neck,fretboard and pick-up cover(light curly maple),and black hardware.

any suggestions on a body wood,that would go well with this idea:confused: ?

2. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    maybe white limba or swamp ash? or just lightly figured maple (shop locally if possible)? all seem to be approved of by the tone crowd (especially the limba)

and, to make you jealous... the top for my first build is going to be a peice of black walnut crotch i found on top of the pile at the local lumberyard. just had to pay normal price, and there's enough for a highly figured bookmatch top as well as qtrswn heart/sapwood back. just go to a lumberyard and be lucky.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, why not a black walnut back? How about tropical walnut?

Generally dark woods are heavy. Walnut is about as lightweight as you can get in that dark. I think I like that better than doing a sharp contrast with the back.

4. mchristiano92

mchristiano92

Mar 25, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Cherry. But with a mat finish not real glossy would look cool i think.

5. spicolli

spicolli

Mar 13, 2006
    New Hampshire
    hmmmm.

Fred mentioned a butternut body,with a black walnut top..what do you guys think?

I'd like it solid walnut,but i'm thinking it would be pretty heavy if i did.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Butternut is nice stuff. I would not hesitate to go that route if you like the color.

7. I'd go figured walnut top on a straight-grained walnut body.