Help !! Want to move into the 5-string arena

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bazza, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Bazza

Jan 30, 2002
    Kent, England
    I'm looking to move into the 5 string arena and I think I have short listed 3 basses - the yamaha TRB5II, the Ibanez BTB405QM and the Warwick Corvette Standard (active). Any comments !! Any other basses that I should be looking at. I'm looking to spend £600 - £800
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Any chance of getting to Bass Centre to try out a Lakland Skyline??? (Well, at least the 55-02. I haven't tried the 55-01 but it gets raves).

You may forget about any of those you mention if can get your hands on one. They are quite whoopass for the money.
  3. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray5 or a G&L L-2500 my to fav 5 's
  4. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd go with the Warwick. However, if you have a decent knowledge of woods pickups and electronics, you could get yourself a DP custom with more goodies for less money.
  5. I suggest the warwick, In my opinion they are the best basses around, i have 2, one's a 4 string and the other is a Thumb 5 bolt on, they both sound (and look) absolutley amazing! Go for the warwick!!, of course try one out if you can, but there's no way not to love it
  6. At those prices, can you score a Stingray 5? It's got a much better low B than any of the three you listed.

If not, definitely try out the Skylines. I've heard that they're almost as nice as "real" Laklands...
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Hmm.. I too suggest a Ray 5.. i'm biased though.. I do however like warwicks as well.. I think they aren't as pretty as Stingrays but they are sure nice basses.. I think Warwick makes excellent fretless basses IMO.. Hows about an MTD kingston..? If you are set on one of the 3 basses you mentioned, i would suggest the Warwick or the yamaha
  8. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    Spector. You can get an NS 2000 Q5 For about $569 US, I dont know how much thai is UK, or you can get their new Czech bass, the ReBop for about $1000! The Czech Spectors are great workmanship at a low price!