Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help wanted, every opinion counts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Minor, Jan 8, 2006.

1. hey guys(and gals, nothin sexier than a female bass player,but anyway) i've been looking at this site for a good 4 or 5 months and everybody really gives good info and opinions on "help wanted" type questions so hopefully you guys can give me some good ideas.

I've been playing bass for a year now and i've outgrown my cheapy squire p bass (i can't stand to even look at the thing truthfully) sting a new bass and amp, i want jazz bass but something versatile, mainly to excel at Funk, R&B, and Blues. I'm currently looking at a Marcus Miller 4 string and it felt and sounded great to me(i've seen plenty of threads where people would happily disagree with that). So can anybody recommend any basses that would do good in those genres of music, i hope i'm making myself clear enough, oh and i'd like them to be no more than 800 preferably, i don't have the wealth of a small country right now. Thanks in advance!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geddy Lee jazz bass if you need a jazz.

If you are willing to get a non jazz instrument, say the word and more reccomendations will follow.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1 on the Geddy.

Excellent Bass -- well made and versatile. A lot of people will tell you that this is the best "bang for the buck" in the entire Fender lineup.

The Marcus is a sexy bass but I don't think it has as much tonal versatility as the Geddy. I have also never heard of anyone who had one that didn't like it.

EDIT: Check out this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222050

4. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    In my opinion at the 800 dollar price point you have a lot of choices, if you buy used. I owned Marcus Miller 4 that had been upgraded with a John East J-Retro preamp and some Fender custom shop pups,(Custom Shop 60's as I recall) That bass was one of the best Jazz basses Ihave ever owned. I got to hung up on the 3 bolt neck and traded it away. I wish I never did.

G&L JB-2 are also a fine choice and can be had in your price range. I also owned a Lakland Skyline joe Osborn which had a very nice sound but the neck was a bit wider than most Jazz basses. The Lakland did the jazz sound very well but I don't think it was as versatile as the G&L and certainly not as versatile as the Marcus because the Marcus had the J-Retro preamp.

I would say collect as many opinions as you can(obviously) try to get out and play as many as you can and you owe it to yourelf to check out the J-Retro preamp. I think it is the best most versatile preamp out there and makes any jazz bass instantly better tonewise. If you are not familiar with them, go to www.thedudepit.com and go to the J-retro forum and read up. FWIW I sold my Marcus with the upgraded pups and preamp for the price range your in.

5. I'm open to any bass i was just saying that the Marcus Miller(and fender jazz in general) was what i was mainly looking at now, i looked into the Geddy Lee and i've yet to hear a bad review for it(same with the M.Miller) but i'm worried that it'll ONLY have that Geddy Lee sound and nothing else, guess i should take another trip to Guitar Center and try everything i can get my hands on instead of what i go in there wanting to try. Great opinions so far by the way, keep 'em coming!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sound is in the fingers baby.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Youe gotta rember to take bad reviews w/ a grain of salt, usless the things are catching on fire, or Mfg. won't honor claims etc.
    For every item out there, there is someone who loves it and someone who hates it. It's really bad w/ amps. You tend to hear from the people who hate it, and the one's that love it shut up and play.
    I would suggest playing a G&L before making up your mind. Leo Fender said they were the best he made, he designed Fender, Music Man, and G&L.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really really really like musicmans, i havent played enough G&Ls to come to a conclusion about them, andddd i dont like Fenders ><

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the Ibanez SRX700/705, but they have humbuckers. i also like Fender Jazzes(i couldn't tell you which one though, cuz i don't remember).

10. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    :bassist:

11. Ibanez and Yamaha make some great basses. I suggest trying out some of those on your next trip to the music store. By the way, are you planning on staying with a 4 string?

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If that's the case, the Marcus Miller bass will only make you sound like Marcus Miller. :)

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    A used Peavey Cirrus, in excellent condition, is well into your price range....

14. for now, yes i want to stick with a 4 string, maybe later on down the road, my friend had a 5 string schecter that i refused to give back to him for nearly 5 months but i don't feel like i'm ready for a 5 string as my main bass, and Nino makes a nice point, i guess i hadn't thought of that guess the sounds really all in the fingers and amp....but if that's the case then why are there 3000 dollar basses, god i feel like i'm buying a car again!

15. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

A GL Jazz doesn't get the Geddy sound...Geddy gets the Geddy sound. Why, he even made a Steinberger L2 and a Wal bass sound like him...Imagine that ;)

It just sounds like a Jazz Bass, with a faster neck and (subjectively) better sustain.

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    amps make a large large large difference. last Sunday i had to hang around at church to practice, but my dad wanted to leave. so i packed up my big cab and amp so he could take it home for me and i played on a little dinky probably 60watt crate amp (don't get me wrong, i like it :) ). but the sound was so different. it was weak and just did not fill the 240 watt void between the two amps.

i didn't think i'd ever go 5 string. i bought one and it's pretty hard to go back. i just really like the backup of an extra low B - D# that i can occasionally hit and just shake the floor with. there are rarely any songs that i actually use the low B for an actual note that is supposed to go there. usually i use them for fills are just changing things up a bit.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The more expenive a bass is, generally, the better the construction and craftmanship. I know for me the fretjob and neck finish are very important, and basses over $1000 just feel better to me and play better than cheaper basses. There are several gems though, for very affordable prices, that play and sound better than their price tag. The Geddy is one of them.

18. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    A huge +1 on the G&L I think they are the most underrated and overlooked basses out there. They are made in the USA, sound and feel excellent and can be had for a fantastic price on the used market.

19. Well, I think a girl who plays piano and jazz violin and vibes is sexier than a female bass player, but that's just me :D .

I have briefly played a Marcus Miller bass, and all I can really say is they get a good slap tone (provided you use the strings that are meant for the bass, ie stainless rounds). All I can really say is when you go to GC or wherever, that you pay close attention to the type of string that the bass uses to make sure that your judgement is more focused on the bass itself rather than the brightness of smoothness of the strings. I mean, a good fretboard can make things smoother, but so can strings. Hmm...just remember that I say this cautiously because I don't want to offend you if you are already a page ahead of me. (I just want to get it out on the floor).

Oh yea, and as earlier implied, use all of the basses you try with all of the amps that you try.

20. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I know I mentione dit before but since the point has come up several times about a Geddy , or Marcus having a particular tone, Really look into the J-Retro preamps. Every bass I have had that has the upgrade installed has been far superior tonewise than the same instrument without it. The nice thing about the J-Retro's is that it is so tonally versatile you can dial in just about any sound you want, and if you get the deluxe version it sounds great passive with the passive tone controls.