1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help wanted for a 13 year old bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vikingchris22, Jan 10, 2012.

1. vikingchris22

vikingchris22

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi My name is chris and I have been playing for about 4 years and I am a pretty good bassist. I am auditioning for a high school music scholarship in a few days. I play mostly classic rock songs from bands such as the beatles, Jimi hendrix, Eric clapton, rolling stones, the who, and other old rock bands like that. I need a song that will really impress the instructor. Any ideas? All help is appreciated thank you so much!

2. I assume classic rock. Maybe Cream's Badge

Cream - Badge - YouTube

Easy to learn

Or Derek And Dominoes' Layla

Layla - Derek and the Dominos - YouTube

Just a little bit harder. The reason I recommend these is that they have interesting chord changes, not the typical three chord I-IV-V that impresses someone listening. And they don't have any fast and furious bass patterns to learn.

Usually I like bass players who easily pick up harmonies and chord changes, the rest like playing fast is then easy -- even a monkey could play fast but to figure out harmonic changes, that's where those with musicality shines.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    First, I'd research what kind of material the scholarship people are expecting. Do they expect a rock tune, a jazz tune ... ?

4. vikingchris22

vikingchris22

Jan 10, 2012
    Well it can be anything I want. One fast song and one slow song.

5. major10th

major10th

Aug 8, 2010
    I don't have any specific song suggestions for you, but just thought I'd say congrats on having a well defined goal at such a young age!!! Stay clear of anyone who tries to drag you down.

6. Jaco's blackbird can be pretty mesmerising. It worked for me during my exams

7. Try jaco's blackbird. It's pretty mesmerising.

8. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    A really classy pretty bassline is "something" by The Beatles