Help wanted for buying first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bronn, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Bronn

Dec 17, 2004
    Hello, I'm looking for a bass. I need :help: because I don't know anything about basses. :(
    I'm looking for advice from knowledgeable people like you. :D

Should I buy a starter pack?

Are there any brands I should avoid like the plague?

Anything I should look for in particular?

I'm a metal maniac and my favorite :bassist: are Steve Harris and Geedy Lee.
  2. Bronn, can you tell us how much you have to spend, so we can narrow down the suggestions to fit your budget?

Mike ;)
  3. devinomatic

Dec 12, 2004
    Because it's more fun to be pessimistic, I personally don't care for the entry level Ibanez, Squier (Affinity series), BC Rich, or Washburn basses. I've never played one, but I've heard bad things about the cheapest Rogue basses.

I'm a sucker for Peavey basses, especially the slightly older ones that were still manufactured in America. (Fury, Foundation, Axecellerator, T-40) Aside from lacking tonally, a lot of the Yamahas I've played have been wonderful.

A big thing I would suggest is playing basses, playing lots of basses through lots of amps, and taking several days. Although you may be unexperienced, you'll get an idea of the look and feel you're shooting for.

As far as practice amps go, I would save your money for a decent little Behringer combo, or a decent sized Peavey. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck, and the Peavey's tend to be indestructible. Stay away from package deals, as the amps usually aren't worth keeping as you move on. If anything, a cheap little digitech BP50 would be enough to plug headphones into and play through.

Most of all, have fun looking and shopping, and don't rush into it! I suggest actually playing the bass and choosing it rather than buying one sight unseen. Best of luck!
  4. Get an essex P or J bass from Rondo Music. You can research them on the "essex Mega Thread." These are inexpensive and good. They sell starter packs too.

Just don't get that cool green '62 J bass with the chrome covers. That is the one I am going to
    1. Get;
    2. Defret;
    3. Set;
    4. and forget.

Entry level ibanez and yamahas are o.k. too, but not my first choice.