Help Wanted with Flight Case - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by abngourmet, Sep 8, 2005.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I'm traveling to the LA area from the east coast at the end of September to do some recording with my brother and a friend of mine. Consequently, I need to pick up a flight case or two. Questions I have are these, and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

What flight case brand do you own, use, recommend, etc., and why?

How much did it run, and how long did it take to get it?

Who did you purchase it from, and what was your experience with them?

Did the case protect your instrument well (e.g., no damage, little damage, significant damage, etc.)? Does the manufacturer guarantee you instrument against damage while using their product?

Did you carry on your bass, or did you check it? If carry on, where was it stowed aboard the aircraft? If checked, was their any damage to your instrument and/or case?

Thanks in advance,

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I purchased an ATA approved Gator case online for $130 in July. $20.00 to ship it and I recieved it 5 days after I ordered it. I put my Smith 5 inside and flew to Poland for a gig. Flew back had NO problems. Both guitar players I was with had to bang their cases back into shape but mine didn't have a mark on it. Really good investment! Another plus is all of my basses fit comfortably in the case. I checked the bass through. Gator does not insure your instrument against damage, they will replace the case if it does not meet it's specs. The case is tested out to withstand up to 3000 lbs.SKB makes a nice one too. You can put your bass in a gig bag and put it in the SKB. It's a bit more money though. Good luck!!
  3. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    The most protective cases are the traditional anvil style cases that are custom fit to your instrument. I actually have one on order right now from Jan-al cases that will fit my gig bag inside with bass inside it. I wanted to do it this way, so I can use it for any bass I want to travel with - my current #1 might not always be my #1, and these cases are EXPENSIVE. Disadvantage of these types of cases is that they're HEAVY. Advantage is that when you check em through, you can rest easy.
  4. Warwick styrofoam case. Big but lightweight. I shaped its interior to custom fit my bass.

US$100, I bought it when I bought my bass in a music store maybe four years ago.

Yes it protects my instrument. I have flown with it twice. I don't think there is a guarantee.

I checked it. No damage. You are supposed to loosen your strings though.