Help! Warwick Strap locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanB, Feb 11, 2002.

1. DanB

Nov 20, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    got a problem here. The screw for the strap locks on my '94 thumb n/t got stripped out totally - I was able to drill down and remove the screw head and the gromet for the stap lock, but now can't get the remaining screw piece out w/o damaging the wood. I'm thinking of epoxying the strap lock gromet back in for a permanent fit w/o use of a screw. has any one had exp. with this?

2. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had one heck of an experience with this. I installed recessed straplocks in my Warwick and didn't drill the hole big enough for the screw to go in. It stripped half way into the bass and my straplock was half sticking out. I drilled the head off and tried for 2 days to get it out with no avail. I filled in the hole most of the way with wood filler and found a piece of wood that greatly resembled bubinga and glued it in there and sanded it down to the proper curve. I then placed the new strap button next to it and made sure I didn't mess up anything. 2 days later I saw an ad in Sears for something like an easy out that removes stripped screws. But since you have already drilled off the head, that won't work, you could always check it out though. One other thing that might work for you..If you are familiar with how you put a drill bit into a drill (by tightening the chuck down on the metal bit) the same concept might be able to be applied to the metal piece of screw you have sticking out. The only problem is finding a drill with a small enough bit to fit in the hole. A dremmel tool may work for this. Anyways, I'll pray for you man. I know how hard that is. Later, Ryan
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Dan,
    I would take it to a luthier, or an experienced fine finish carpenter (cabinet builder) to take a look at it. The only reason I say that is because I know I would totally screw it up if I tried to do it myself. Good luck, man.
  4. DanB

Nov 20, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks for the ideas - I'll definately check it out.
    What a pain in the ass, though.