1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Warwick Strap locks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanB, Jul 10, 2002.

1. DanB

DanB

Nov 20, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    The screw holding my flush strap locks got totally stripped - so I tried drilling through the screw to sink a skinnier screw into it so I could bring it out -
    well, the damn head broke off the orig. screw - so now I have just the stem of the screw stuck in there! Any ideas on how to get it out? I've tried needle nose pliers, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    if the shaft is proud (dont be rude) then try some molegrips. They are pliers with a lock on them. You can even slot a screwdriver in them to get more leverage (force multiplier) when you (hopefully) twist it out.

Dont try drilling again as thw wood is softer than the metal screw.

BE CAREFUL

3. DanB

DanB

Nov 20, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    thanks for the advice - I've tried them and some locking needle nosed vice grips - to no avail. I think I may try glueing the strap lock down in there with some Gorilla Glue (some new stuff - apparently stronger than bond-o, binary epoxy, and superglue).

The last thing I want to do is damage my pre-factory thumb!

Wish me luck...

4. A tip I read about for just this very eventuality was to hold a soldering iron onto thetop of what remains of the screw. As this heats up, it burns off some of the wood in the grooves which are holding the screw in there.

Once you have 'loosened' the screw in this fashion it should be eaiser to remove it with needle nose pliers!

5. DanB

DanB

Nov 20, 2001
    Annapolis, MD
    Great idea - I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
    Dan

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    CALL WARWICK!!!!!