Help! What are the best ABY/Mixer pedals out there?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joseagazzo, May 1, 2017.

1. joseagazzo

joseagazzo

Apr 29, 2017
    Perú
    In my last thread, I wrote about splitting signals (highs and lows) with a crossover pedal. Great answers so far. Now the question is how to blend them back together. I'm searching for an ABY or blender/mixer pedal that is not buffered (true bypass) and preferably small in size, 9V powered. Any clues which are the best out there?

2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't use a 'Y' pedal to mix... splitting only.

Mixing - how about a Boss LS-2?

smogg and BadExample like this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Are you using an multiple amp setup?

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  5. joseagazzo

joseagazzo

Apr 29, 2017
    Perú
    Why would you not recommend an Y pedal?
    I've heard the BOSS LS-2 shapes your tone in a bad way. Some other say it "sucks" your tone. Like, diminishing the dynamic range or something. Any clues on what they are talking about?

Nope. I've split my signal to process both high and low freqs independently. (Adding dirt to the highs, and limiting/compressing the low band). After all that processing, I need them to come back together to one output, in order to get just one signal into the amp or console/mixer/audiointerface.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd def hit Brain from Saturnworks up. I bet he can help you out. He's good with special circumstances like this.

JimmyM likes this.
  7. joseagazzo

joseagazzo

Apr 29, 2017
    Perú
    Done. I contacted him through e-mail. Ill post the answer here once I get one.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome man!! Hes really a pleasure to deal with. And I know with me, and I've heard a few others say too, that he is really good/quick to respond.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    ABY - EHX switchblade. Passive. perfect.

10. joseagazzo

joseagazzo

Apr 29, 2017
    Perú
    Does it work the other way around? Like using the outputs as inputs and the input as a single output? Would be great.

I've been researching and mailing with manufacturers/builders and some point out that Passive circuity in ABY or Summer/Mixer pedals could cause gain loss, because of both signal summing up and becoming one great signal, thus altering the overall power. They say the buffered ones make each signal work independently, summing up without changing/lowering the sound.

Did I get it right?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Agree. The summing pedal he built me is terrific.

gregmon79 likes this.
  12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've seen nothing but rave reviews about the Xotic X-Blender

13. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Love my x blender

14. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Radial Loopbone? Essentially, each preamp could run as a loop, and would be summed to the power amp in the pedal. If not that particular one, I'm sure Radial makes something that would work, and their stuff is reasonably priced, bulletproof, and sounds great.

15. Nofrets2

Nofrets2 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Look up Lehle Pedals. Your search is over.

16. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I agree with the Lehle sentiment. Personally, I bought a radial switchbone before I'd ever heard of Lehle, so that's what I use. It is for one instrument into two amps (doesn't work the other way 'round), but there is no loss of gain or signal. It wasn't cheap, but it works very well. I believe there is a v2 out there now that might have replaced the one I have.
    91c-rrb594L._SX355_.jpg

17. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Why not wye?

18. Sounds to me you should have done this with a blender/looper to begin with.

I have a Wounded Paw blender v3, a Boss LS-2, and a radial ABY thing. With either of the two blender/loopers you could put an EQ to kill low end, add dirt, that's loop A. put an EQ to kill high end, compress/limit, that's loop B. The LS-2 is the simpler of the two so you have vol knobs for both loops and it sends a single out to a single amp in this example.

You could use it to take an input, output A (without making a loop back in) to do some of your processing to one amp, and either loop B or a separate output to another amp should your complications become complicated.

The blender does all that and has other knobs and switches to do more fancy stuff.

19. joseagazzo

joseagazzo

Apr 29, 2017
    Perú
    First time I dive into the Wounder Par Blender. Looks like an awesome pedal. Just by looking at it, the versatility is obvious. Thing is I would need to buy 2 EQs + 2 Compressor/Limiter to accomplish my goal. With the FEA DBCL that’s all done with one single unit.

About the LS-2, there is a whole topic about it. Some people say it "sucks down" the sound, and tone/shifts the signal because of its circuity. What are your thoughts on that matter as a LS-2 User? Is there any cons about the tone getting altered or smth? I’ve been tempted to buy it a thousand times.

20. to get to your end goal as stated, yes.

why not try as I describe, without the EQ pedals, and decide if you are happy, whether just one EQ & comp will work, or whether you actually do need 2? Or get a 1U stereo 15band, there's your 2 eq's (i am assuming this is for recording and not a gigging setup)

I find no audible difference using an LS-2 vs not using it, with any given pedal. I like the sounds I am able to achieve by blending things with it, specifically running a patch cable to blend dry signal with effects that take away low end.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022