Help!! What bass for Punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n8g14, Apr 2, 2003.

1. n8g14

Apr 1, 2003
    I'm in a punk band from indiana that's getting started. I currently use a squier mb-4 bass, which is ok, but i'm looking to upgrade. i've been looking around and don't have much of an idea what i'm looking for. i need something good for punk music for between $500-$1000. i'm open to any suggestions. thanks!
  2. FingerThePick

May 24, 2002
    Memphis TN
    just go ahead and get a Fender Pbass MIJ or MIA
    those seem to be the most common for punk

or get a B.C.Rich Ironbird
  3. n8g14

Apr 1, 2003
    yeah i know the pbasses are popular but that's the problem i want something a little more unique if i'm spending that kind of money. i'll check out the ironbird.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I made your thread title a little more descriptive... I know I wouldn't click on a post simply named "help!!" unless I had to.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Mark Hoppus Sig if you want something unique.. :bassist:
  6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    EB stingray or Fender American p bass.
  7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i second the motion for an ATK. punchy as all getout. Looks cool, has a really aggressive tone and always cuts through.
  8. Nothing more unique than a punk bassist with a P-bass :rolleyes:
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    DING. We have a winner. Best bass for Punk ever invented, IMHO.
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Its actually a Jazz body I believe.. and it comes in blinding colors! :)
  11. You're all wrong. The best is obviously this one:

12. Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    go for the Ibanez EDB-600!!! its punchy, sleek and not that common. Or if u want something that jus looks really sweet, look into a Steinberger.
  13. Hey what's that?? I've been looking for that one since long ago.. Do you know their website?
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What bass for punk? My god,,, i took countless hours to ponder this question, and have come to this end. You ask to much of us. This is the hardest question I have ever run across. Thank you for making my brain hurt.
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    LMAO that thing's a weapon not a bass :rolleyes: :bassist:
  16. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Musicman StrinRay, Fender Pbass, Ibanez ATK, Epiphone Thunderbird, Ibanez EDB 500 ...

Mark Hoppus signature...

Or simply get a Squier P bass affinity and put a lot of sticker on it ....

If you have about 1000$ for it, i'll say get a MIM Pbass, of something cheap and get an amp like AMPEG svt pro3 with 4x10 cab ....

You'll get the punk tone with that ...

PS: consider USED items ...
  17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    All you want for punk is a bass with a lot of growl. A lot of times that depends on the pickup(s), not the actual bass itself. I would recommenend an Epiphone Thunderbird. Those are my second favorite basses for punk. Warwicks are my personal favorites for punk and most other forms of alternative.
  18. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I recorded 2 punk CDs on a Lakland 4-94 Deluxe. Doesnt matter what bass you use as long as your happy with the tone. Most of bands we gig with their bass players are using 70s Precisions coated with stickers. I dont gig with the Lakland anymore; using a Stingray 5 these days.