1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abundantfirez, May 5, 2010.

1. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    28t8g2p.

The only thing that is on it is Japan, hinting that it was made in Japan. I just got this thing for free.
    Hope you guys can help me out! Thanks a lot!

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool! Some kind of Gibson SG bass copy. There were tons of Japanese manufacturers in the 60s/70s/80s that made stuff like that!

Cool you got it for free!

3. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    Haha the strings are like...covered in a plastic coating. Would normal strings work on this thing?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There were so many Japanese brands and generic manufacturers pumping out clones of the Gibson EB0 and EB3 (SG basses) over the years, that yours may never be exactly identified.

Normal strings will be fine, just be sure to get the right scale length (measure from the nut to the bridge saddles, or from the nut to the 12th fret x2).

5. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    Wow, I'm not quite sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. :D It still works though...It's in pretty good condition too. Needs a little wire work.w

6. Those strings are probably nylon coated... They almost look red in the photo... I wish nylon tapewounds were offered in other colors besides black nowadays.

Any strings of the correct scale would work on that bass. Most likely it's a short-scale bass. For a rough estimate, you can measure the length of string between the nut and the bridge saddle. If it's about 30 inches, it's a short-scale bass. If it's about 34 inches, it's a standard long-scale.

7. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    Going from assumption, it's 20 & 3/4th scale...it is pretty short. Assuming it is a short-scale bass without measuring it. Thanks a lot for the help TALKBASS :D

8. HA! Back in the mid-late '70s, I played a Kingston bass strung with Ernie Ball "Red Tubies" (for awhile - they didn't work out for me). Those look just like them.

9. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    Hahahaha, maybe those are the same strings!?

They are red and completely covered with the nylon, from head to toe. ;P

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Univox used that String cover

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    It is almost certainly not that scale, are measuring the fretboard length?

12. blaarrgghh

blaarrgghh

Dec 25, 2009
    I have a bass with the same headstock logo design on it. Mine also says japan on the back of the neck plate. Mine's in the style of an eb-2. i bought it on ebay a few months ago and i have no idea what company it's from:confused:

13. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    i've got the same bass for free from a friend of mine a couple of years ago. mine came without the string cover (only the screws remaining), with a badly filed bone nut, and an (obviously fake) guild sticker on the headstock. the only thing i know is that the bass has been hidden in my friend's place for about 25 years! someone asked my friend to store it for a while but never showed up to have it back! anyway i tried to do some search over the web and it came out that it is nearly impossible to identify these kind of basses as many "unbranded" EB 0 replicas were made during the seventies in different japanese factories.
    can find further info here: http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/for...ss-ibanez-replica-(i-think)/?action=printpage
    anyway it's a good looking, good sounding vintage bass, Enjoy!

14. Abundantfirez

Abundantfirez

May 5, 2010
    Sorry DerHoggz, I meant that's how many frets it has. I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. :D

Exciting stories guys. You should post pictures of them.

The string plate thing is very annoying....If I were to play this bass, I think I would take it off or just learn to work around it.

So I guess the conclusion is a Japanese ripoff from the 70s. :] Fair enough.