Help, what is a Cydoor?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 20, 2005.

1. Bah. I just went on Mxtabs and this 'cydoor' popped up and I accidentally clicked on it when I was trying to click on something else. What can I do to remove it? I'm no good with computers.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's spyware. Cydoor is a major online advertising/marketing firm. You'll need to do some house cleaning on your PC.

Find yourself a pop-up blocker to help with those persky pop-ups. Be very careful what you click on, and be patient while the page loads.

3. I got a pop u pblocker, two anti viruses, Ad-aware spyware rmeover, and zonealarms fire wall. is that any good?
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would have to say that your pop-up blockers aren't working that great. Hehehe :D

I use the one that came with the Dogpile toolbar. It always catches the pop-ups from mxtabs. The pop-up blocker in MS Service Pack 2 seems to work well also. Everyone has their favorite, so I am sure others will chime in with what works for them. The firewall, AV, and Ad-Aware work well, but when you click on a pop-up or website, you kind of overrule those programs.

5. I use Google's. It general gets them, but this one seems to slip past everytime.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Doing a scan with Ad-Aware will probably remove it. I'd also consider using Firefox (or Opera, but Firefox is free whereas you have to pay to remove Opera's inbuilt Google ads) instead of Internet Explorer if I were you, you'll catch less spyware that way.
  7. I just did another scan with Ad-Aware and it found 35 tracking cookies. EEEEEEEK!
  8. And I just repeated the scan and it's already found 5 more. Help?! How do I track this thing down and get rid of it? Damn Mxtabs!
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Cookies aren't that dangerous, be more aware of dialers, attempted hyjacks and other fun stuff. Basicly every site you visit leaves a cookie on your computer, most of them are harmless.
  10. Diallers don't bother me. All premium rate numbers are banned on our line.
  12. I kenw someone would say that. I was on Mxtabs looking at a bass tab for Killswitch Engage- Rose Of Sharyn, actually.
  13. Yeah, right!! :D :D :D :D

This is probably why you are having problems with your right hand technique. ;) ;) ;) ;)
  14. LMAO, that is truly a baaaaaad joke.
  15. Aww! I was going to post that! :mad: :p
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1 for the Firefox advice, better browser than IE imo, and I've had less trouble with spyware since I've been using it + it's free :)
  17. Definitely ditch the IE if you don't want to worry about this again.
  18. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Be sure you UPDATE both Ad-Aware and also get Spybot Search and Destroy (Google it, it's free).

Forget the Google, here it is:

I am certain using both of those will rid you of the problem. Spybot also has an Immunize function that will prevent future infections. Good program to get to know. But use it WITH Ad-aware.

Here's the info on Cydoor:

BTW, it may have come with Kazaa. Do you use that?
  19. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You could try running Adaware while in Safe mode. When rebooting, hit F8.
  20. I ran in safe mode. I also installed Spybot. Spybot finds nothing, but Ad-Aware seems to be finding loads it'd never got before. I immunized the PC using Spybot too, so hopefully this blighter won't bother me again.