1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help: What is the nut width of a Noel Redding Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 49x18, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 49x18

49x18

Aug 1, 2007
    Can anyone tell me the nut width of the 1997 Noel Redding Fender Jazz? I can't find any info on Fender.com

A reviewer on another site describes it as "a larger width, much like a Precision, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 3/4""

Can anyone help me confirm this?

A Fender Jazz with a Precision neck is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Carleton

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Taken from a review from Harmony CEntral:

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had no idea the Noel bass was different, thanks for that Nino...

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I doubt that that Harmony Central is accurate. Maybe that reviewer had a Jazz body with a Precision neck, or a one-off of some sort (because he mentions the bass has the signature on the headstock) but Noel Redding played a stock '65 with a 1-1/2" neck, and the RIs were the same. I've seen a few in person and they all were 1-1/2", and I've seen Noel's original bass, which is on display at the Music Experience museum in Seattle, and sure enough, it is a regular Jazz bass.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM97/Fender/Limited-Edition.html

From the Fender press release:

"The Noel Redding Jazz Bass exactly mirrors the sunburst soul mate Jimi Hendrix's lanky bassist played . . . Noel's personal touches on this gem include a light alder body, slim maple neck, tortoise-shell pickguard, Vintage '65 bridge and two single-coil Jazz Bass Vintage '65 pickups. . . "

6. 49x18

49x18

Aug 1, 2007
    After I started this thread, I found a post by a member here in this forum stating something to the effect of: He bought it sight-unseen and was disappointed because the neck with bigger than he expected when compared to his other J bass.

Sorry that I can't cite that post right now. I'll look for it again.

Interesting...

7. 49x18

49x18

Aug 1, 2007
    The Golden Boy says this:

Located here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1323287#post1323287

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  9. 49x18

49x18

Aug 1, 2007
  10. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    My pleasure! :smug:

It was a pretty nice bass, I have to say, but I wouldn't describe the neck as "P Bass-like". It was certainly like the traditional, round-backed, narrow JB neck but just a fraction wider. Really more "J" than "P".

You wouldn't think that your hand would feel a difference of 1 or 2mm on the width, but it does!

11. The first Jazz basses, 1960, had a 1 5/8" neck. The smallest necks were the 1966/68 thru necks with the binding they came in at 1 1/2" and a little rounder feeling to them. The 64/65 Redding version should be a 1 5/8" neck which I believe to be the nicest to play. I'm wondering if the bodies are nico finished or not, anyone know?

12. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    There is actually a Noel Redding Fender Jazz! I got quite a boner sir Nicolas..

13. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hello,
    I'm the not so proud owner of a Noel Redding Jazz Bass and I have to admit that I'm rather dissapointed. Mostly because of the neck.
    Even no pickguards fit without modifying them. I'm guessing somehow that this has nothing to do with the original Noel Redding Jazz. This bass must have been build in another factory than the other MIJ stuff. Why should they change the measures in a factory where thousands of traditional Jazz Basses are built?

Otherwise I'm a huge fan of Fender Japan stuff. I own 1 strat, 2 Jazz Basses and 2 Precions.
    The Noel Redding Jazz and the Duck Dunn Pecision were both released in 1997 and both were limited editions. I bought the NR new and a few years later I bought the Duck Dunn very cheap on Ebay because the seller didn't know what he was selling. The Dunn is one of the best Precisions I've ever played. The Redding feels kind of "chunky" or clunchy". I hope one of the adjectives is correct.

Dirk

14. Are you saying the 20th fret heel width is larger than the standard across the board since forever 2.5"? Color me surprised.

15. I had a 68 P bass with a 66 J neck on it for years, it was 1 1/2" wide at the nut, was the best neck I've ever played. I thought all the early J necks were "A" width, 1 1/2" at the nut. Anyway that is one of the reasons the pre-CBS J basses are so expensive besides the fact that collectors hoard them, they play and sound unbelievable and Fender really makes nothing that I know of that is comparable today. Most old Fenders have a magic to them and that is not BS in my experience.

16. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi,
    it's a poly-finish.
    I'm a bit confused about the neck-width now. I can not measure it, because all we can measure in Germany are centimeters and milimeters.
    The original NR pickguard is a little bit too narrow for my 75 Jazz RI, while I had to widen the 62 turtoise replacement pickguard, which I bought as a Fender replacement part, because I didn't want to spoil Noel's signature.

But some people seem to like the neck:

I don't get it, why Noel Redding gave this neck to him?!

Dirk