1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help!!! - what kind of bassguitar on "chemtrails" by beck?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by horak, Apr 20, 2009.

1. horak

horak

May 31, 2006
    Austria
    love the sound of the bass in this song...
    does anybody know what bass jason faulkner used here?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Are you curious about the instrument itself, or the tone of the bass on the recording?

There was probably a ton of studio equipment used during tracking and mixdown of the song. So it might be impossible to achieve the same tone.

3. horak

horak

May 31, 2006
    Austria
    i'm more curious about the bass itself that was used there...
    obviously it was played with a pick for to get that clicky sound, maybe a short scale bass (with flats)??

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Could be a good question to post to the JMJ section. Justin is a cool guy about answering questions and he mentioned in a BP magazine article, I believe, that he loved that tune and what Jason was doing on the song. He might possibly know the bass.

5. horak

horak

May 31, 2006
    Austria
    good idea, thanks...

6. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Just here to help...

I'd love to know what bass that is as well. Freakin' awesome song with a sort of "cut loose" bass tone. Sounds very live to my ears.

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Live, a P was used...

8. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hmmm...could have been a P on the album.

9. horak

horak

May 31, 2006
    Austria
    "cut loose" describes it very well.
    feelingwise similar somehow to sir paul's "high-register-noodling" on "i want you"... also pretty "cut loose"...

10. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Every video I watch of the new lineup of Beck includes that same sunburst/rosewood board P bass. Maybe he used something else in the studio...but the tone sounds "similar".

11. horak

horak

May 31, 2006
    Austria
    very similar, but to my ears in the studio version there's more "click" to the bass-sound (could have been a preci nonetheless)