Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help-What kind of string do I want?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mamm7215, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    I just bought a Cort C4Z, love it but I think the strings are old (roundwound original off shelf) and my technique is sloppy anyways, but I was wondering if there is a string that sounds brighter like a roundwound but with less "chirp" when playing notes or sliding. And yeah I practice lots but still "chirp" now & then.

2. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    For the most part, the brighter the string, the more "chirp", as you say. There's really not a way to get around it, unless you wanna settle for flats that are *almost* as bright as rounds. Steels rounds are the brightest, but they also get the most extraneous noise, and then comes nickels rounds, as well as a couple types of flats (Rotosound RS77s and D'addario Chromes) which are just as bright but without the fret noise and zingy treble . . . those are both awesome strings, but relatively high tension, unless you get a "Super Soft" set of Chromes. Personally, I LOVE the Rotosounds . . . also, if you wanna stick with rounds, try out Rotosound RS55 "Solo Bass" strings. They're steel rounds, but pressurewound, so they're a lot easier on your fingers and the frets, and they retain the very bright trebly character of typical steels, but with less zingy highs and less noise. They die pretty quickly though, but they're still great strings.

3. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    So by higher tension, would I then have to adjust my truss rodd to compensate, or saddles for action? (With the chromes I mean.)

4. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    If you go down a guage size you will need minimal to no adjustments with the Chromes. If you currently use 45-105's go down to 45-100's in chromes.

5. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    Well I compromised and got 45-100 D'addario half rounds. I like them, still bright enough for my stuff and more even sounding than the original strings. Next set I may try chromes but I like these. I did have to adjust truss and action though. No biggie. Play great still. Thanks for your info.