Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, Aug 11, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Hi all, could do with some advice if possible...

My main instrument is a 4 string EB stingray that I love but I have just freed up some funds to purchase a 2nd bass. I have approx £1000 uk pounds to spend if necessary. For pounds think dollars for what it buys :bawl:

I am thinking that I should buy something different to the 4 stringer such as a 5 stringer or a fretless. This would make it easier to justify having 2 basses and ensure they got played.

I would like a 5 string as it would enable me to play some songs without drop tuning possibly. I want a fretless as I believe it will improve my overall playing by improving my ear and it sounds nice.

I know that I could buy both at £500 each. This would get me Fender MIM standard 5 string approx and maybe a yamaha rbx fretless but my experience is to buy the best bass u can afford or else you will want to replace.

I am tempted to buy a used EB Stingray fretless or 5 string.

Any recommendations or help choosing??

There again the 4 string fender deluxes look very nice :D

Steve

2. how about a fretless five string? :D

anyways, if a fretless fiver doesn't ring your bell, than i would say go for the fretless. you can always retune your bass, but you can't go about pulling the frets out all the time. EB fretlesses are pretty cool, they sound just like a fretted EB, but thats really just me i think. get a jaco sig bass, or something like that!

Charlie

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I, too, was in the same boat. I have a Stingray 4 string. I love it. Ernie Ball makes kick A$$ basses!!! So, I decided to pick up a Stingray 5 string and I couldn't be happier. I say go for it and get the Stingray 5. The only problem you'll come across is deciding which one of these 2 awesome basses to use :D

4. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have never played fretless or 5 string and am a little nervous about this but am gonna take the plunge on one or the other.

The fretless 5 was way to scary ;)

Steve