1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Ok,

I just sold a bass and now have "just" one left.

My one and only now is a Tokai Jazzsound from 1982, which I love to death. It's the best jazz bass i've ever played.

But now I have some money from the sold bass and I want to buy a new backup.

The last jazz I bought was ok, but everytime I a/b'd it with my Tokai I didn't like the sound of the other jazz. On it's own it sounded decent, but in comparison to the tokai it sounded compressed, thinny and dull.

Now I have played a squier vintage modified jazz bass and I liked it very much and it's within my budget (Squier costs 300€ here and I have 350). I'm afraid though that I like the squier on it's own, but I'm going to have the same problem as with my previous jazz. So what do you think I should do:

1. Buy the VM squier. It will stand up against my Tokai.

2. Save up some more and buy another second hand japanese bass from the 80s that will have the same quality for sure.

3. Save up even more and buy a new Japanese Fender.

What do you think?

I'm curious!

:help::hyper::bag:

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Take the Tokai with you to wherever you tried out the Squier and A/B them using the same amp with the same settings.

3. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks, thats a really good advice :).

But i'd still like some more opinions, because I know myself.

(some will probably recognise this)

When I go into a store with a possibility to buy a new bass, I get so excited that every bass sounds a lot better than when I play after the fire has gone out...:meh:...

4. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I think that the VM won't let u down.

5. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    1. if you love the tokai so much why do you need another bass?...just to have one? i dont get it.

2. will you be playing both basses at once? if not then why would you need a bass to "stand up" to the tone you get from the tokai? will they fight eachother when you turn the lights off?

it sounds like you dont really know what you want to buy yourself...you like what you have but thats not enough???? dude bank your bucks and enjoy your tokai!

6. I personally wouldn't own multiple basses unless I was doing different tunings.

7. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I think this says a lot.

I want a backup.

I want a bass that I can leave at the place where I rehearse and a bass that can be used as a backup.

Is it so strange that I want a second bass?

I mean, have you ever looked around here? owning 2 basses is very modest in comparison to what I see around here. And then even very reasonably priced.

And would I be playing the basses one at a time? No, but probably after each other. And if one really sounds a lot worse than the other, it bothers me.

I know what I want, a decent jazz bass that I can use als a backup.

8. You make a good point. But like my guitarist says, "James, if you didn't own so many tricked-out basses, you could have an ampeg fridge by now."

and for the most part, he's absolutely right.

9. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I allready have an amp I want Mb little mark II with 2 mb 12" cabs.

An ampeg fridge will only hurt my back and I don't need that kind of power. :smug:

But I agree that he's right that it's not necessary to own a lot of basses/guitars

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN

It is absolutely NOT strange to own at least two basses. It's always good to have a backup. You never know when something could go wrong with your electronics, etc. It just makes good sense.

As for the Squier VM, I played one the other day. Most of the many basses I've owned over the years were/are MIA, with the exception of my Sadowsky Metro (Japanese) and an 80's Squier P-Bass many years ago that was made in Japan. Anyway, I had been "test-driving" a new American Standard P-Bass that everyone is raving about. It did sound really good. Then I plugged up the Squier VM. Granted, it's a Jazz, but I was very impressed with it. I told my son that it sounds as good as many of the MIA Jazzes I've owned. If it fits your budget, and you want another bass, I say go for it.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Ironically, I was playing the VMJ and the American Standard through Markbass gear. (I just saw your last post after I submitted my last one.)

12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    There are numerous legitimate reasons to own more than one bass, backup, different sound, fretted, fretless etc.

You can't got wrong with the Markbass 12" combo, i bought one and love it, tone for days. plenty of bottom and my back doesn't hurt from carrying it in and out of gigs, plus it sounds great at low volume so i can use it for practice too.

13. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC

not so strange at all! in fact it makes perfect sense! I play 5nights a week and rather then a "back up" i bought myself a real nice gig bag and that does the trick!

I too own more then one bass (as many other TB users do) but im most confident and reliable on one bass. I stick to what i know and that pays my bills.

i own a VM and its pretty cool...i play it maybe once every two months... it sounds good!

and yes man...i have "looked" around here for many many years my friend...dont let my profile fool you!

good luck! i hope you find a good back up!

14. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    agreed, however that isnt what the OP was aiming for....it sounds like he wants an exact match...

hey Marcury ever play the Hook? or Trash Bar? sup Bklyn!

15. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

Aug 10, 2005
    Detroit
    ALWAYS take your bass with you whenever you go and check out another bass to purchase

16. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Backup can be an exact match; why not?

Haven't played either of those no, most recent Bklyn gigs have been Freddy's and Matchless.

17. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    well sure! but he was stating that he couldnt find it so i guess my advice to him was to give up! then i think "a good Jazz" was mentioned....id say he's on the right track already! cynicism works!

:smug: