Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! What strings to try next???!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slombovia, Jan 24, 2005.

1. D'Addario Half Rounds: "Fat and warm with muted top"

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. GHS Pressurewound: "Some flatwound-like thud with smooth mids"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. La Bella "quarter round": "Strong mids with deep lows and muted top"

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. DR Black Beauties: "Full-bodied with a pillowy midrange and soft attack"

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Some nylon tapewounds other than La Bella

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Is the BP string review up in the night???

I am specifically referring to the following string set snippets:

1) D'Addario Half Rounds: "Fat and warm with muted top"

2) GHS Pressurewound: "Some flatwound-like thud with smooth mids"

3) La Bella "quarter round": "Strong mids with deep lows and muted top"

4) DR Black Beauties: "Full-bodied with a pillowy midrange and soft attack"

When I first read these snippets I thought they sounded promising - and it made sense - these strings being ground wounds or coated strings. But I have been researching and I have seen numerous accounts of these strings being zingy or being plenty bright for not being round wounds, etc. (I don't want bright or zingy.)

Some background: I have a 35.5" scale NYBW fretless 6-string and I still am looking for the perfect string for it/for me. I am looking for a rich, full, organic sound. They also must be smooth - I gliss alot. It has an alder body w/walnut top and maple neck with Pau Ferro board. Punchy, bridge-located single-coil pups. So it is a focused sounding bass by nature. The D'Addario Slow Wounds were too bright. The TI Jazz Flats are my favorite so far but have a brittleness on the high strings I can't get rid of. They had this on my Carvin 34" scale, too. The TI Jazz Rounds are awesome if you're looking for a growly 'electric' sound but I'm not.

BP also says the above strings are smooth but some of you disagree saying for example, that the Half Rounds are sort-of 'grabby' being steel. Which is it?

I'm pulling my hair out. I've spent over $100 on strings already and those BP snippets sound good but I'm skeptical.

HELP! Which strings do I try next?

signed,
    Finicky Fretless

PS I would try nylon tapewounds but not La Bella because they have great sounding EADG completely mismatched with the floppiest low B AND high C I've ever played.

PPS And then there's the issue of "are they long enough for my 35.5" scale"...

argh

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
  3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

GHS pressurewounds are a great sounding string. I think their mids are a bit more present than BP states. Unfortunately, they only come in 4 string sets. :bawl: