HELP! What strings to try next???!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slombovia, Jan 24, 2005.

1. D'Addario Half Rounds: "Fat and warm with muted top"

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. GHS Pressurewound: "Some flatwound-like thud with smooth mids"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. La Bella "quarter round": "Strong mids with deep lows and muted top"

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. DR Black Beauties: "Full-bodied with a pillowy midrange and soft attack"

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Some nylon tapewounds other than La Bella

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Is the BP string review up in the night???

I am specifically referring to the following string set snippets:

1) D'Addario Half Rounds: "Fat and warm with muted top"

2) GHS Pressurewound: "Some flatwound-like thud with smooth mids"

3) La Bella "quarter round": "Strong mids with deep lows and muted top"

4) DR Black Beauties: "Full-bodied with a pillowy midrange and soft attack"

When I first read these snippets I thought they sounded promising - and it made sense - these strings being ground wounds or coated strings. But I have been researching and I have seen numerous accounts of these strings being zingy or being plenty bright for not being round wounds, etc. (I don't want bright or zingy.)

Some background: I have a 35.5" scale NYBW fretless 6-string and I still am looking for the perfect string for it/for me. I am looking for a rich, full, organic sound. They also must be smooth - I gliss alot. It has an alder body w/walnut top and maple neck with Pau Ferro board. Punchy, bridge-located single-coil pups. So it is a focused sounding bass by nature. The D'Addario Slow Wounds were too bright. The TI Jazz Flats are my favorite so far but have a brittleness on the high strings I can't get rid of. They had this on my Carvin 34" scale, too. The TI Jazz Rounds are awesome if you're looking for a growly 'electric' sound but I'm not.

BP also says the above strings are smooth but some of you disagree saying for example, that the Half Rounds are sort-of 'grabby' being steel. Which is it?

I'm pulling my hair out. I've spent over $100 on strings already and those BP snippets sound good but I'm skeptical.

HELP! Which strings do I try next?

signed,
    Finicky Fretless

PS I would try nylon tapewounds but not La Bella because they have great sounding EADG completely mismatched with the floppiest low B AND high C I've ever played.

PPS And then there's the issue of "are they long enough for my 35.5" scale"...

argh

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    triple argh

3. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

GHS pressurewounds are a great sounding string. I think their mids are a bit more present than BP states. Unfortunately, they only come in 4 string sets. :bawl: