Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! What type of amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bad Religion, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Okay, I've been playing the bass since November, so I am a beginner. Well, now I'm in a punk band, and I need a bigger amp. Right now I just have little Crate BX-15 amp, and obviously that isn't enough. I guess I'm just looking for something I can afford that can be heard over the drums and with the guitar. I don't want top of the line, but I do need something bigger and soon too, b/c I really wanna be able to hear myself when I play. What would be the best bet to get? Thanks for any replies.

2. bad religion rock. check out carvin.com. ure in the same position as me, and i recently got an 18inch woofer from them direct, and im just waiting till i get the money for the redline 1000 watt.nice.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah dude, check out carvin.com, killer prices on club filling rigs. if you want to be heard over drums well, do what i did, find the cheapst 4x10 cabnit you can, then get at least a 100 watt(To match a rock drummer) or 200 watt head if you play some gigs that need a little more power. also, if your guitarst has only a 50 watt amp, and he cranks it, you going to need 4 TIMES as much bass power to be heard (200 watts). but he probly dosnt crank, so no worrys. just thought id let you know about the guitar amp, bass amp, power ratings.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Look at the Peavey Combo 115. Great combo, tons of bang for the buck too. 210 watts just normal, add an extension cab, and it's 300 watts. :)

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, yea Bad Religion is rad.. Jay Bentley doesn't get enough respect.. he's rad.. listen to Better off Dead really closely... that guy's a badass..
    anyway... how much cash can you spend? My first decent amp was the carvin pb200 combo, and it definately got the job done.... its cheap and pretty loud...

6. thanx for all the replies, but i need to know how much this stuff would run me? also, do u guys know of any websites or could any of u tell me basic amp stuff i need to know? such as an extension cab, why some amps have heads and cabinets, what all of these do? i'm really a beginner especially with the amp stuff. i only have like 300 bucks right now, but i've only been saving up for like a month, so i mean i can go pretty high, i'll go to like six or seven hundred if i need to. would that be enough? mind u this band that i'm in is just starting, i would love to be able to actually hear myself. since we're not professionals or anything, the drummer wont be using mikes or anything, and the current guitar player is using a 200 watt bass amp, just loud enough to match the volume of the drums. so anyways, thanx for all the replies n stuff... anyone wanna add? oh yeah, as for jay bentley, have u heard the song "turn on the light" on against the grain? that has a mad bass solo in it.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    An amp with a head and cab is called a combo.

The Peavey Combo 115 is a 1x15 speaker with 210 watts. You can hook another cab up to it, and it'll be 300 watts.

I'm pretty sure you could find one on ebay for a decent price. Just make sure it's one of the newer ones.

Here's the link to the peavey site...
    www.peavey.com

I'm fairly sure they're under $500 new.

(could be a lot, could be a little over)

I just realized that you're not specifically asking for a combo... Although, it seems you're on a budgit. What're your $$ amount, and what kinda sound are you lookin' for?

By the way, Bad Religion's awesome...

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    with that range of cash, and no immediate need for the amp right NOW i suggest you take your time and look around. I'm not sure where in So Cal you live.. but chances are that if you're anywhere near San Diego or LA, there is plethora of music stores around you. Take advantage of them.. FInd out what kind of sound you like, get a feel for different brands and now much stuff should cost. People on this board can tell you whever you want to hear but it won't make sense until you find out for yourself. Make sure you turn it up all the way before you actually buy anything, and always bring your own bass to test them out.. Going used will save you a few bucks but make sure it isn't falling apart. See if you can get to a carvin showroom, IMO their stuff isn't the greatest.. but for the money it can't be beat.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Turn it up all the way? With all due respect, are you dumb? Do you understand clipping?

You're suggesting that he ruins every amp he tries!

Other then that part of your statement though, I agree with you.

Someone'll tell you that a certain amp's really warm, another person will tell you it's not warm at all... The only way to figure out what it is, is to see for yourself.