Help - Where Can I Find A Pickguard For A Guild B-302???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saint, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I'm trying to help a friend out by fixing his late 1970s Guild B-302. It's not going to be too hard, except that he cracked the pickguard where the jack mounts.

So, bottom line, I need a pickguard for this bass, but it's been rough going trying to find one.

does anyone out there have any suggestions?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Shouldn't this belong in Basses?

I guess you can keep checking on eBay... or send an email to

Why not make a new one? You can get material from Warmoth or Stewmac or other sources or have one made at (I think)

It's really not hard to make one yourself...

1. Trace around to old one on the new stock (that is covered with protective paper...or if not use wide masking tape or similar). Make sure you mark all of the screw holes and pickup openings too.

2. Carefully cut around the perimeter with a coping saw leaving 1/16 in. or so outside of the line for filing. This seems obvious, but cut inside the line for pickup holes, since you're working from the inside out. Make sure that you support the back side of the material very carefully so it doesn't crack or chip.

3. File down to the line with the flat side of a half round file. You can use the curved side for the curves. Go slow and be careful, it doesn't take all that long. Then sand around the edges to make it smooth (100 grit or finer).

4. Add the bevel with a flat file held on an angle (again, the half round side in tight corners). Strive for a consistant bevel. Smooth the bevel with sand paper as described above.

5. Remove the protective paper/film and install on the bass.
  3. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I don't actually know how this ended up in "Amps". I was in "Basses" when I wrote it.

4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000