Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Where to buy a Precision in NYC or DC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by geordieboy, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Hi,

This is the first time I have ever posted anything anywhere!
    I,m an Englishman living in France, where PB are very expensive. I will be visiting in April, for the first time Washington Dc and NY city and I would like to buy a new bass.
    I won,t have a lot of free time so if anyone can recommend a good store that sells a selection of new, and/or used Fender precision basses I would be very grateful.
    My budget is about $1000 hard earned, I would like an older US precision if I can find the right one, or failing that a new one from US series
    Any suggestions gratefully recieved,

Thanks

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB! This is a beter fit in the Misc forum, so I'll move it now...

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    NJ Guitar and bass center, Amboy Ave, Edison, NJ (20 mins from Staten Island via the Outerbridge crossing). Unbelievable selection of eveything you could want. Jay is one of the most knowledgeable guys around. Check it out!

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Chuck Levins (Washington Music Center) in Washington DC will do you right also.

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I live 30 min from NYC and there are many places in the city to go but the best places in the city would have to be Sam Ash and Manies which are both located in Midtown and there right accross the street from each other. Manies sells TUNS!! of vintage stuff fo you may be able to get a vintage if you would like. There are also 2 more stores I can recomend One is the Chelsea music stoor which is obviously in Chelsey Right next to the Chelsea hotel. Then you have Rivington Guitars which is on 125 rivington street. I would not recomend getting you new bass in DC less selection all of the stores I have just listed are in NYC.

Good Luck: ELLIOTT :bassist:

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, this is where you want to go. There's no better music stop in the area.

Bills Music is up in Catonsville (Baltimore area), but it's becoming more and more guitar centerish... not a lot of diversity in what they stock, catering more to the lowest common denominator, etc. And too much Peavey junk.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Agreed, Chuck Levin's is the place. Note: the salespeople there work pretty autonomously. The guy you want is Brian Meader. I can't speak for others, but Brian has extensive contacts throughout the industry and knows his **** COLD. Nice guy, too. He'll cut you deal comparable to any internet-only retailer.