Help. Which head to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sworn, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    Hey all, I'm about to buy a head for my Avatar 4x10, and I'm having trouble deciding which to buy. I'm debating between the Ampeg B2R and the Warwick Pro Fet IV. Now, the Ampeg goes up to 350 watts at $550, and the Warwick at 400 watts at $560...I'm going for a rock sound (Ampeg) yet I hear the Warwick's a little more versatile with its EQ. So anyone with experience of either and/or both of these, please tell me which you think would be the best head to go with. Thanks!
  2. I have the B2R but don't have any experience with the Warwick. The Ampeg sounds great pushing massive lows and mids, but the highs could be a bit better IMO. Of course the fact that my horn isn't working in my cab may have something to do with that.

I've found this amp to sound really good at 8 ohms (pushing 200 watts) but I wish it was a bit louder. It sounds absolutely amazing when you're getting the full power out of it at 4 ohms.

I don't have any problems with the EQ lacking in tonal control.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't have any experience with the Warwick either but owned a SVT-350H (the head version of the B2R). I loved it's tone...but it really seems underpowered. I've also noticed this when watching other bassists using the amp...they weren't playing loud and the limiter light was on all the time.

Perhaps you'd want to look at the Carvin R600 or R1000, they're about the same price and a friend loves his R600...tons of EQ available and power to spare.
  4. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    thanks guys. anyone else with suggestions?
  5. Jbass987

Mar 20, 2002
    Rapid City, SD
    Two words-----Gallien-Krueger---------
  6. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    and your reasoning, JBass...?
  7. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hartke 3500

solid amp with nice tone and a great eq. bought a used one for 300 shipped about 3 months ago and its been awesome.
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think there is one at now for $300. I use one in the studio/practice and it really sounds excellent. Plenty of power. Great rock sound. I tried to play a GK at GC and it was fried. I like the sound that Duff from Guns had and I think he used GK. But if I was going to just get a practical head it would be the 3500 Hartke. No muss/fuss.Plug & play.
  9. Rockbobmel

Your profile sais you already have a Warwick Pro fet...?? Are you having second thoughts??
  10. Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    you got it, Bobby...that's actually a pre-owned item ;) . Now I'm not sure...just want to know if I'll be getting the bang for the buck.
  11. Rockbobmel

Go try out the 3500 at GC and then you can get an idea. Then get the used one. If you are unhappy eventually, you can get all your investment.
  12. The B2 comes as a 1x15 combo but also as just the head which isn't the same as an SVT350H to my knowledge.

Those Hartkes do sound pretty good too.
  13. im pretty sure the B2/R is the same as the SVT-350H. My experience? Decent tone, but WAAAAYYYYY underpowered. I sold a Hartke 3500 for it. I wished I hadn't. I had nothing but manufacturing problems with the Ampeg. iT was in and out of the shop. Yeah it was waranteed, but at 2-4 weeks a pop, i was pissed to not get to play out of it. It gt traded in on my mesa. That was five years ago and Ill neverlook back.

The hartke has the most power and tone shaping for the buck in this comparison. they go for like $200 USD used all over the place down here.

best 'o luck