1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: Which Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WilemT97, Jul 7, 2014.

1. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Hey all! :D
    Right, so I've decided I'm getting myself a T-Bird in a couple of weeks but I'm contemplating getting either the Tokai Thunderbird or the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV.
    But which is better overall?
    Anyone out there with any experience of either of these basses?
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers, Wilem.

2. Epi Classic IV gets my vote. The craftsmanship, tone & looks of those basses are amazing! Bought one a month back, myself. ^_^

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Classic IV in white with black hardware looks and sounds great.
    Doesn't look like the price went up $100 either like it did with the Pro IV.

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The Epiphone Classic is the winner, it's much more faithful to the original Gibson concept, better pickups etc.

5. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks to you all!
    Seems like the Epi is the clear winner here :D I really want a white T-Bird but when I found out that Gibson doesn't make one, that when I found the Tokai and the Epi!
    I guess the Gibson USA pickups in that Epiphone are too good to miss out on at the price it sells for!
    Another quick question, is the strap button at the heel of the neck on the Epiphone or is it in the usual place?
    Cheers, Wilem.

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I too picked up an Epi White Pro IV Classic a month ago. I once owned a Gibson as well, and I am quite pleased with the Epi sound and build. As for the Tokai, they are kinda rare, at least around here you never hear anyone talking about them. If you use your GC 15% off coupon right now, you would get it for a good price, like I did.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Heel of the neck on new ones.

8. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    How would you say it compares to your Gibson that you had? Any real differences? Also, that GC coupon would be useless to me because I live in England! But thank you anyway :D

9. crikker

crikker Yooper Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Not trying to hijack (but I guess I am) but what is the sound, build, option differences between a Classic IV and a Thunderbird IV, other than about $200? Doesn't the Classic have active electronics and pickup upgrades? Help me too please. :woot:

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Classic has Gibson pickups. The Pro IV has the active electronics. I have the Pro IV and it's very versatile.
    The Pro IV has a better bridge, too, but you can get a better bridge for the Classic…easy mod.
    The regular Thunderbird has a bolt-on neck…the Classic and Pro IV has neck-through construction.

11. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco

Feb 13, 2013
    The Epiphone Classic IV is incredible. Would have bought one if I hadn't found a vintage Fernandes that I've been after... but the Tbird was a close 2nd!! Haha. Honestly, it's hard to find a better bass in that price range. While Tokai's have a good reputation overall, as far as guitars and basses go, the Tbird Classic IV is loaded with Gibson pickups and is a 7-piece (I believe?) neck through body. For $500 shipped (if online), that's damn hard to beat :)

NOTE: The Pro IV and Classic IV are now the same price, The Pro IV used to be 400-450, but it's 500 everywhere now. So honestly, it's a matter of if you want active pickups or not, between the two. Both kick ass and a half.

12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    www.mikelull.com