1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help - why are my ADG strings growly but not my E string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Hi, I just bought an Fender MIA Jazz and I noticed that only the A, D and G strings are very growly when I play loud.

The E string works and has the same output level but doesn't seem to have that same growly tone as the other 3 strings?

I tried adjusting the pick-up height but that didn't really do anything. Is this a problem with my pickups?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Could be that the E died before the other strings. It's certainly been known to happen. Also, I've found on my Precision that sometimes the A, D, and G are much more defined-sounding than the E. The Fender 8250's, which have a taperwound E have really helped with this. Of course, this only helps if you like nickel roundwounds.

3. How about lowering the height of your E-string itself? The set-up can affect a lot of your sound...

4. Hmmm, I didn't try lowering it...I did raise it a little bit without result.

Can't do it tomorrow but I'll try it on Friday...

But do you think I have a problem with my pickups?

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It's probably just a sub-standard E-string - It happens...

6. It was the string after all. I swapped the E string on my P-bass with my Jazz and the growl came roaring back. That is really weird.

Thanks dudes!