Help - why are my ADG strings growly but not my E string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Hi, I just bought an Fender MIA Jazz and I noticed that only the A, D and G strings are very growly when I play loud.

The E string works and has the same output level but doesn't seem to have that same growly tone as the other 3 strings?

I tried adjusting the pick-up height but that didn't really do anything. Is this a problem with my pickups?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Could be that the E died before the other strings. It's certainly been known to happen. Also, I've found on my Precision that sometimes the A, D, and G are much more defined-sounding than the E. The Fender 8250's, which have a taperwound E have really helped with this. Of course, this only helps if you like nickel roundwounds.
  3. How about lowering the height of your E-string itself? The set-up can affect a lot of your sound...
  4. Hmmm, I didn't try lowering it...I did raise it a little bit without result.

Can't do it tomorrow but I'll try it on Friday...

But do you think I have a problem with my pickups?
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It's probably just a sub-standard E-string - It happens...
  6. It was the string after all. I swapped the E string on my P-bass with my Jazz and the growl came roaring back. That is really weird.

Thanks dudes!