Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Wich Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old_skool, Apr 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK, heres the deal i have a choice between a epiphone les paul 4 string in cherry sunburst for $250 or a bc rich platinum bass with widow headstock in blue burst for $279. which do you think is a better deal? why? i play mostly metal, but dont think bc = metal. i want the most versatile out of the two. i need advise as soon as possible! thanks.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is this as a back up to your Fender?? I havent played the Epiphone, but played BC Richs in the past and I really didnt care for them, or their looks.

They had either a really muddy dull tone, or too noisy of a treble sound, and very lacking in mid-range.

Go to a Music store and try out one if you can. Is this a deal that Musicians Friend is putting out????

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    its kind of a back up. its just a really good deal and ive been thinking of getting a 4 string. it is through MF. i have played a warlock and the tone was ok but the neck dive is the real thing that annoyed me. anything else? anyone?

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Get an EB-0. Much better then the both you mentioned. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. I had an EB-0 when I was in a metal band, it sounded PERFECT for it. They have a really huge sound, kind of muddy...

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    hmm well that really wasnt one of the options. if anyone has anymore useful info on these two basses let me know. thanks for the posts so far.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    does anyone know where i can find a picture of a warlock in blue burst? ive tried there website and mf.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    As said before, try an Eb-0. Atleast give it a try. I think it sounds better than any of the ones you listed, and is in the same price range... just my opinion though.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i dont have the option of trying that bass, let alone the other two i posted. i have however played a warlock. thats why am asking people opinions on THOSE two basses. once again thanks

9. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I dont understand why you are stuck on these particular basses, but, whatever floats your boat...
    you should go w/ the les paul. bc rich's look as well as sound crappy (and they weigh like 100 lbs).
    As far as im concerned go get a fender p-bass and an ampeg svt with a 8x10 cab....now thats metal :)

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i have a fender deluxe 5 string jazz bass. yeah a amp like that would be nice but thats way outta my range. im set on those two because i can get great deals on them and i dont wanna pass it up and regret it later. does anyone know how the epiphones compair to gibsons? so far im leaning towards the bc rich, but still not really sure either way.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    hmmm... Everywhere I've seen an Eb-0 they're around $230. If that's out of your price range... I'm sorry... :(

But... A B.C. Rich will make you look metal, but it won't make you sound metal. Keep that in mind.
    An EB-0 with the treble rolled all the way off will give you the perfect sound.

That's my last suggestive comment towards the Eb-0. But if you don't get the Eb-0 get the Les Paul. Les Pauls are really muddy sounding (IMHO) but they sound a lot better then a B.C. Rich...

12. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Metal? B.C. rich all the way, but's that's IMO. What amp are you going through? This is a tough question though, but either bass would probably work fine though. I'm curious to know some other reasons why you want one of these basses besides "they're a good deal". A bass being just "a good deal" isn't a very good main reason for buying it. Prices and deals are good things to consider when buying a bass and can be great deciding factors, but they shouldn't be your main reason for buying a bass. What's wrong with your fender that would make you want a different bass, or do you just want another bass for fun?

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    assman-
    im going through a workingman 15. ive been considering the bc rich for a while. when i heard about the good deal on the rich i went to check it out. when i was looking for it i saw the epiphone for a bit cheaper than the rich and was wondering if this a was a better bass. i agree price shouldnt be the only reason for getting a bass. i too was thinking " is this the only reason im getting this bass? " the answer is no i like both, i want a 4 string to mess around with some tuning options with my band. nothing is wrong with my fender, i love my fender.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I say get the Eb-0... hehe
    It looks incredibly cool for metal, and honestly I think the red one with the black pickgaurd looks better for metal then a B.C. Rich (meaning if you're judging on looks)

And the Eb-0 sounds incredibly better then the two you mentioned, while being cheaper then both. (It's $209.00)

Check it out... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010419145121063024054089364212?pid=518523

If you would decide to get it, get it in cherry, it looks a lot better irl then it does on the page in cherry... It looks amazing... Irl you can see all the wood curves and all under the red... Meaning it's a translucent coloring...

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Totally amazing. The guy wants an opinion on 2 specific basses and Crawlingeye keeps steering him to the EB0, which he has said that he doesn't want.:rolleyes:

old_skool, of the 2 basses that you are actually asking about, I would recommend the Epiphone. much better bass than the BC Rich IMHO. Better tone, more versatile, and if you ever decide to play something besides metal it will not be necessary to get rid of it like the BC Rich.

16. Yeah, it is bad that he keep suggesting that bass, and FWIW, I have only heard super bad things about it. The Les Paul I tried was very nice, and most of metal is root notes anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. :D

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i really value all the suggestions........but i think im gunna go with the bc rich. i havent even had a chance to play the epiphone. im not really sure what c - eyes hang up was. yeah...metal..root notes..right. well thanks for the help anyway guys. ill let ya know if you guys are right and should have got the epiphone. thanks again.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not that I'm hung up on it. I don't even own one anymore. I'm saying I just think it'd be good if you checked one out. It's cheaper than the 2 you mentioned, very clean and tubby sounding, with tons of bottom.

19. The worst thing I found about the BC Rich was the body shape, It hurt my chest to play it sitting down.

About the root notes, a BAD stab at humor, I play punk, so I cant poke fun, right :D

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Punk doesn't require anything near just root notes... Listen to REAL punk like Rancid, Operation Ivy, and Plan A Project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.