Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help - wierd change in string pitch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by homemade, Jan 15, 2005.

1. homemade

homemade

Nov 22, 2004
    Okay, maybe this is not totally wierd but I am new to the bass and have never seen it before. I just bought a new bass with a PJ pickup configuration and I find that the pitch of the D string varies slightly depending which side of the P pickup you pluck it on. If you pluck it on the bridge side of the P pickup the pitch is slightly higher that when plucked on the neck side (but enough to make it sound like you are playing with one string out of tune). I can't comprehend how this is physically possible and yet there it is. And only in the D string. I thought maybe it had something to do with the pickup magnets pulling on the string so I lowered them. But it's still there. Otherwise could it be some harmonic overpowering the pitch of the string? It still occurs with all other strings muted.

Anybody got any advice on what might cause this?
    Thanks.