Help--Windows Media Player skipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by emor, Nov 9, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    I have copied some songs from CD's to my hard drive and the more I play them the more they are skipping. They are WMA files. I am practicing with them and transcribing lines, so there is a lot of pausing and moving the slider back and forth to different parts of the song. When it first started doing this, it seemed to improve when I closed the program and reopened it; but lately that doesn't seem to help. I visited the Windows Update site but there were no updates indicated for it.

I seem to have the "reverse-Midas touch" for things electronic lately. :(

Any ideas?

2. emor

May 16, 2004

(This is really pissin' me off.) :mad:
  3. I use WMP and don't have skipping problems. However, there could be other problems. Spyware/adware could be eating memory, or other programs running. Check Task Manager to see what's running. Run Spybot or Ad-aware to clean up spyware. Kill unnecessary programs, see if that helps.

WMA's can get corrupted, I use MP3 as the file format almost exclusively when I rip. I rip with CDex, a freeware that works well.
  4. Convert them to mp3 like nashvillebill said

and also use winamp like govithoy...easy to use and very stable
  5. emor

May 16, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I downloaded Winamp last night and it is much better, though I did experience a couple of minor skips. (Sound is better, too).

I have Spybot already. Should I use Adaware also? Do you have a link for that?

How do I convert the existing files (which are now Winamp media files) to mp3? (sorry, kind of new at this).
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You should be fine with Windows Media files. I use them exclusively when I rip CDs and never have any problems. Make sure you have Windows XP (including all security updates) and the latest version of Media Player (which you can download) - I noticed issues with earlier versions, especially playing video. Also as suggested above, make sure your machine is free of adware\spyware - Yahoo has a free scanner that works well to remove any infection. This stuff will really screw up your machine. Finally, try optimizing your system through Windows - I do this fairly regularly and it only takes a few minutes. If you haven't done it in a while, it could help.

Sounds like the issue is not with the player, but a performance issue elsewhere though someone more technical than me can be a better judge...