Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help - wireless issues!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jun 19, 2002.

1. did some homework on a good wireless for the buck. i decided on the sennheiser evolution 100. heard nothing but good about them, good construction, good performance, selectable freq's etc.

i love the features and construction, but it sounds like TOTAL SHIIIIITTTEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

"oh, have you tried":

new battery - YES
    different frequency - YES
    adjusting squelch - YES
    adjusting sensitivity - YES
    different cord (to amp) - YES
    different bass - YES
    different amp - YES
    different environment (building, outside, inside) - YES
    adjusting audio out level - YES

still sounds the same, like shhiiiiittte!!!

i have tried everything and this system just sounds like a bass guitar with a bad connection somewhere (bass with farty gravelly hissy pissy noise going on at the same time) especially through a 4000 watt PA.

a friend who works at guitar center, bought it at cost and lost the receipt.

what the hey am i supposed to do now????? there is nothing better than going into the crowd and hearing your band while you say hi to friends and family who show up. a wireless allows this.

HELP!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you had done a search re: this before you bought the danged thing, you would have read at least one of my many rants regarding the importance of checking the Audio Frequency (AF) range of the unit. If you check the specs on the Evolution 100, you'll notice that its AF range is 60 hz to 18 khz. This is not suitable for bass, since your E string vibrates at about 40 hz. Your A string is 55 hz. So you're playing two frets up on your A string (B) before you enter the frequency range of your unit. Oh, you play a 5-string? Well, your B string vibrates at 30 hz.

Recommendation: Take the POS back, and trade it in on a Shure UT unit. It goes down to 20 hz, and sounds great.

Also, thanks for bringing home my point to all those guys who have been saying their Samson units work "great."

Sennheiser Evolution 100 Series Specs

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  4. i put the senn back in the cardboard, took it back to GC, and returned it (their computer showed the transaction so lost receipt wasn't an issue)

(wiping sweat off my brow....)

guess what wireless i came home with?

yep. first impression is good tone without the noisy hissy crap that i got with the senn. I like the protective case that comes with the unit and the 1/4" AND XLR outs, i'll be anxious to see how the unit's xlr out will sound straight into the PA mixer.

i'll gig with it this weekend and give it the acid test.

thanx for the tip......

b

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I am proud to be of service. Way to go, man.

Man, I hope the new one doesn't screw up ...

6. :D :D :D

shure ut ....

gigged with it last nite.....

flawless performance....

no worries, no bs, just pure sonic transparency....

the shure-supplied roadcase is reet handy, too!!!!

:cool: :cool:

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have one as well, did my homework thanks to jumbled munchie. Great unit.

Mike

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I live to serve. Most of the time.

9. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    How much do the Shures cost?

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Heres a little diddy some of you may be interested in. This was told to me by a electronic geek/musician friend of mine:

If you buy a wireless ANYTHING in the near future try to buy a UHF unit. Why? Because, very soon, all the VHF frequencies (which have been all bought up already) will be flooded with "High Definition" television broadcasting (yes, not everybody has cable). This means you will not be able to use your VHF unit ANYWHERE local stations are broadcasting the Gomer Pyle marathon :eek: .

Supposedly ALL TV broadcasting will be of high definition within 5-10 years.

11. about $360 from mail order or local discount retailers.

12. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    bimplizkit, I had the same experience with the same model from Senn. Might work for guitar, but it sure didn't cut it for bass.

I just spent some time trying to get a new Shure ULX-P to work properly, ended up sending it back too. Noiseless when you're not playing, lots of weird high-end "gated" noise when playing. Sent it back to Shure, they weren't able to duplicate it but said they fixed it anyway, and...sounded like ass when I got it back. My old "Shure Guitarist" is a little noisy, but so far it does the best job for me.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Shure UT is about $349 at GC. I got 'em down to $300.