1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help wiring Carvin stacked jazz pickups in active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cricketfever32, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I've got a pair of Carvin H50 not sure if it's S or A but I do know they are stacked humbuckers, I'm trying to wire them to simple active electronics a là Seymour Duncans active jazz bass wiring diagrams, I get signal to come out but when I go to turn the pots off signal still bleeds through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wiring Diagram

2. The pots are not grounded properly.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Those are passive pickups, aren't they? Is there some reason you didn't use the passive Jazz wiring diagram? The active diagram includes a battery wired into the circuit in order to power a pair of active pickups...

4. And yeah, the Carvin H50s are passive.

5. they're three conductor pickups, *confused*

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Those are probably coil splitters.

7. Fixed the problem. It was me being silly, I forgot to ground the other side of the pots. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I hope you didn't hook a battery to those pickups....

9. It wouldn't hurt the pickups.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Probably (+) (-) and ground.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Score another one for Line6Man!

I would have said the same thing.

12. Anyone have any ideas as to why these pickups are so quiet? I have to gun my SVT-3 Pro by using the level on the graphic equalizer to get any decent signal, even for practicing.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Stacks tend to have less output. This is because the top coil is out of phase with the bottom coil. And also because the bottom coil doesn't sense very much sound from the strings.

One way to get around that is by over winding them a lot, but then they don't sound as good.

14. I figured that'd be the case, series/parallel would be one way to avoid that I presume? seems to make sense to me, at least.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You mean for the pickup? The two coils are usually in series.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What value pots did you use? 500k?

17. I switched them back to passive because it was raising all sorts of hell with the amp head for some weird reason. The battery was new, checked voltage before i threw it in there, and all the connections were solid. I'm using 250k pots at the moment.

And isn't there a way to switch between the two pickups in series/parallel form?

18. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You should be able to do that assuming that you have a separate ground and common wire from the pickups.

You would run the (+) wire from one pickup to the (-) on the other. The first pickup would have it's one end grounded and the other pickup would be gong to hot.

Also, when you said the pickups were quiet, was that with both pickups on? How did they sound with a single pickup on?

What preamp were you using with the pickups, and what was it doing to the amp? Was the level too hot coming from the preamp? Does that amp have an active input?

19. The pickups have a Black Red and Bare wire, I believe black is hot, Red is the common, and Bare is ground.

The Pickups are about 15-20db quieter than my old setup with single coil basses, I checked resistance and they match with the H50S pickups.

The level doesn't change when either pickups or both are on, the sound just changes as it should. I'm not using a preamp with the pickups, i attempted seymour duncan's method for wiring jazz bass pickups active (battery hooked up to the red wires of pickups and ground to the ring of the TRS output jack.

The ampeg svt-3pro, I have the gain at about 3-4 o'clock in order to get any decent signal out of the amplifier, and when the bass was wired active the mute and -15db switch would make the most disgusting popping noise, I cracked the amp open and I couldn't see any signs of wear, just a lot of rosin on some of the points for the switches.

These pickups are really tricky to get right but now I'm determined.

20. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Active pickups have a preamp inside of them. You can't attach a battery to a passive pickup! That will put voltage into the input of your amp, and can damage the pickups.

If you want more output you need to use some kind of preamp with that bass. It can be in the bass or a floor pedal.