1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help wiring dual coils to a push/pull pot for humbucking/single coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by narud, Feb 17, 2016.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so i followed this diagram
    Parallel_single1_zpshuvow6lf.
    and got down=single coil(bridge is outside coil and neck is inside coil) and up=parallel humbucking. the single coil mode is inside coils. i want down to be parallel humbucking and up to be single coil and single coil mode to be the outside coils. what do i have to change? the pickups are seymour duncan humbuckers. the diagram came from nordstrand (im wiring the pickups to their 3 band pre). the color codes on the duncans and nordstrands were the same, but obviously i think something must be different.

thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    So swapping black and red on the left side of the switch got me outside coils on both pickups but down is still single coil.

3. For the switch, either turn your computer monitor upside-down, then rewire it. Or if it's a toggle switch, loosen the nut, rotate the switch 180 degrees, then retighten.

As for which coil is which, the point of having different coloured wires on the different sides of the switch is probably so that you get a hum-cancelling pair of single coils. So I'd stick to the diagram, but remove, rotate and reinstall the pickups so that you get the coils where you want them.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks for the help! turning it upside down was the trick! its a push pull put so i had to rewire. having black(high),red(low) on both sides of the switch ended up getting me the outside single coils as a humcancelling pair. i guess something must be different with nordstrands vs the seymour duncans im using.

5. nice one. yeah pushpull switches andtoggle switches operate differently in that respect.

it's odd that the same coloured wires give you a north coil in one pickup and a south in the other, but hey if it works that's cool.