1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help wiring two output jacks for doubleneck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skywalkerla5, Oct 22, 2010.

1. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    Firstly, and most unfortunately, I know little to nothing about guitar electronics but plenty about bass and guitar. I just never really learned along the way. Anyway, I intend to start a doubleneck bass and guitar project using http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-NECK-GUI...599?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item483d00759f. I want two outputs in order to hookup to both a guitar amp and a bass amp. The problem is I don't even know where to start to install a second output wired to just one of the instruments. I know TB is full of smart and helpful folks and I'm just hoping one of them will help me out. Thanks :D

2. How will the rest of the controls be wired?

The best way to do dual outputs is to run each pickup/instrument through a minimum of controls that would load everything down when played in mono mode, and use mono output jacks with break terminals to eliminate the need for any extra mono/stereo switching.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Wire up the controls for bass and guitar same as for any single neck. Then you'll need to route a hole to install second output jack. One isntruments out wires go to the jack at the hole provided in the kit. 2nd instrument goes to added jack.

Alternately you might be able to wire a stereo output jack where right side is bass and left side guitar. Then use stereo plug to two mono jacks Y cable to split that up to the two instrument cables.

Id diff do a minimum of serperate volume for each pup. And master tone for each side. Along with 3 way neck selector switch. One needs pup blending option for each side beyond just 3 way pup selector imo.

Id like to know what you thing of the fretwork on those kits necks. No fret edges sticking out sides of fretboard as bumps or sharp edges? And the necks overall qaulity? Had thought about getting one of their doubleneck bass and guitar kits myself. Lol.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You could probably top mount the 2nd output jack behind the lower two holes closer to bodies edge. However when I was doing doublenecks in that manner I found it was less hassle instrument cabkle wise to use stereo out jack. Then for instrument cable I used a 20 ft stereo headphone extension cable. With Y splitter stereo plug to two mono stereo plugs. As long as the Y cable is at least 2-3 ft long thats enough for getting the plugs to their effects units for seperate bass and guitar.

Wether or not the stock pups, pots, & switches, hardware is gonna be toi your liking is hard to say. Those kits look like galveston brand unassembled. They got decent reviews sound wise and qaulity wise. But at the kits price, upgrading everything except necks, bodies, neck plates, isnt going to be cost prohibitive.

If I can be of further help wiring wise Pm me as you progress with putting it together. Theres others more knowledgeable then me. But Ive done doublenecks before and have personal interest in this project. As I may be interested in getting one of those kits myself.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    When I had stereo wired doublenecks I used stereo output jack and 20 foot stereo headphone extension cable with 1/4 stereo plug and jack. On jack end attached stereo plug to two mono plugs, 1/4 inch. 2-3 foot length for thats plenty to get the individual two plugs to their bass and guitar processor inputs. This setup was less hassle cord wise to me then useing two seperate isntrument cables coming off the guitars seperate out jacks.

However if your gonna drop in a 2-3 band active eq preamp in it your gonna need to use seperate output jacks for each side. The 2nd jack could prob be mounted on top of the body behind the lower two control knobs toward body edge. Like is done for SG guitars for example for 2nd jack.

Overall, wiring doubleneck is same as wiring two guitars seperately. The 3 way neck selector switch comes at the end. Then goes to output jack. For your seperate outputs for each side Id replace 3 way pup selector with two mini switches, one for each side. They turn the sides on and off as kill switches.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Quick question for you electronic gurus:

Would you ground everything to both grounds, if you used two jacks?

7. Yes. The jacks both need to be grounded.

8. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Erm...well....I'm out of my league here, but, if you were sending those two outputs to different amps, wouldn't that create the possibility of a ground loop? Would it be insufficient to ground everything to only one jack?

9. If you don't ground both jacks, one of them will not have a return path to ground for it's signal, unless whatever you are plugged into gets grounded to the same place as whatever the other output is plugged into.