1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help wiring up a J pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've got a modded Fender Musicmaster that currently has a single EMG J pickup. I'm swapping it out for a Custom Shop J pickup since I don't care for EMG's too much.

The EMG has a single wire going to the pots whereas the Custom Shop J pickup will have two wires. I've only replaced pickups in the past and it was easy to solder them up to the same place they were before. So I need some advice on where to solder the "white" and "black" leads from the new CS J pickup.

Here are some photos of the current wiring with the EMG. The large white lead is the only one coming from the pickup.

musicmasterpots2.

musicmasterpots.

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That cable is actually two cables in one, ground soldered to the pot's case and hot soldered to the middle lug.
    With a passive pup the black goes to the ground and white to the middle lug on the pot.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    so it goes to the middle lug on the Volume Pot and not the bottom one in the picture that the big white wire is jumped over to?

4. are these pots 25k? They must be if they came with the EMG. You may not have a good output with those, somebody correct me if I am wrong....

5. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    You will def. want to swap the pots out, the 25K pots are going to really darken up the sound of the new pickup. The standard for Jazz single coils is 250K altho some folks like to use 500K pots. You will probably also want to swap the capacitor out while you're at it. I'd take a look at the seymour duncan wiring site for help.... This is for a single coil P bass, but is EXACTLY what you're looking at in your setup LINK

[​IMG]

If you run into trouble, PM me, or keep posting here and we'll help you out.

Robert

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for the headsup on the pots guys and the diagram!!

I'll try it with these pots first and see what it sounds like.

Thanks again!!