1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help wit amp selection.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dubist, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    I'll start off with saying i am not adept with amps and effects.
    i have some time off and a ill extra cash. so i am building a new sound.
    right now i play through a 1980's peavey TNT 130 15" and a godin freeway active and a mim fender jazz passive.

its time to get a new bass head for the line up. been playing clean for years and that always worked with the old band and my bass learning experience. now i have some new projects that are requiring some more range in effects and sounds.
    new band plays a dub math-rock blend.
    looking for a versatile bass head (with DI). for small club venues and recording. was looking at a mark bass f500.
    i have already bought a lot of pedals
    i am wanting to play dub bass with my new oc-3 and xerograph pedals and distortion with my new b3k darkglass and fuzz with my new brown dog chunk systems. lots of sound possibilities. looking for a head that would work well for these sounds.

what size speakers would a 500 wat speaker use. how about a 250?

here is another thread in the effects forum
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/overdrive-new-effects-help-775705/

any and all comments welcome

ruba dub dub
    DubIst

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gee whiz! Not really sure what to tell you. There are a lot of good amps out there in the F500's price range. Go play them and decide what you like. I would probably shoot for at least 500w in a relatively big cab.

3. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    problem is my local store has less selection then a Reno brothel at 9am.
    options are limited in that department. most of the basses come in a cardboard box with an amp.
    i go to my neighbors house to listen to amp and effect samples on his studio speaker.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's worth it to take a drive to a store that's actually decent if you're serious about getting an amp. If you're spending that much money, a 2 or 3 hour drive is an investment in protecting your investment.

5. dubist

dubist

Aug 23, 2009
    humboldt, Ca
    that is a good point jimmy.
    cheers