Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by billybo, Aug 23, 2002.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    ok..i got a bass from my friend..its a 4 string ibanze all black... now the strings is high off the fretbord. i dont no if its the bridge or what but the strings is higher than normal. i have a fender p bass 4 stringand the strings are fine but a wire in the p bass got disconnected so now im using his bass. ijust want to know why the strings are so high up and what can i do to fix it. he went to college so.....
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    You'll get more help in the setup forum.

bu bye

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  3. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Try using english. Those strings will lower in seconds.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Adjustment is normally at the bridge (thats the shiny thing at the blunt end). Most bridges use Allen key grub screws.

Should you be tinkering with a bass thats not yours?
  5. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    its my friends but its his old one...he has a 5 string..dont even need the one i got.....when you say adjust what doi you mean?
  6. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    set the action on the bass. you loosen the strings so that they can be moved off the bridge and then you move the peice back. that should lower the strings. and if the p-bass just has a loose wire that is easily fixed. remove the back panel and re-attach the wire.
  7. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    standard p-basses don't have a back panel, the contol cavity is accessed by taking off the pick-guard.
  8. Are you talking about messing with the screws on the back of the bridge? No no no. On the strig saddles (the little metal things the strings rest on on the bridge) your should see holes where you could fit an allen wrench. Turning it will either lower or raise your action (string height). Adjust to whatever you feel comfortable with. Remember to keep the lower strings at a higher action, otherwise they will buzz against the frets.

No losening of the strings involved!
  9. My suggestion.. considering you really have no idea (no offense), take it to a tech. Take both of them even. Sure they are minor ones but hmmm (i shall refrain).

I just dont want this thread to turn into people suggesting things and then the same reply of "huh? what?" after each one.