Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with 3 finger style =P

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm trying to get ot the point where I can use 3 fingers instead of 2, yeah, I know...but jump.

Give me some pointers. What is a good way of building up speed? I know I have to practice, and that isn't the problem, the main problem is knowing what to practice, and how to do it. Any specifics that i must know before I develop a 'bad habit'?

Any help would be appreciated =)

Thanks! Bryan

2. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    just use that finger till u get used to it

3. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    lol, eventhough that sounds like a dumb response...
    i've come to the conclusion that it's really the only way.

i gotta practice till my fingers bleed lol...or atleast until that stupid blister pops and my finger tip is rough.

sounds good to me! :hyper:

4. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    The one tip of advice that I can give, which I got from Steve Bailey, is to play the pattern...

pointer / middle / ring / middle / pointer / middle / ring

...and so on.

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Ring/middle/pointer is typically the more accpeted style of three finger, although your is the same, but starting on a different finger. Through my experience, to me, which finger I start on gives a completely different feel when I'm playing.

I dunno, maybe it's just me :confused:

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, it's true that you can start on either ring or pointer. I actually think most start on the ring as you suggest, but whichever yields the best sound and comfort for the individual player is the way to go.

My main point was that the pattern shouldn't start ring/middle/pointer and then start over. Keeping the middle finger between the ring and pointer makes playing better and easier from what I've heard and practiced.

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I really dunno about that being easier man, I tried that pattern, and it never felt natural to me. And according to JT, who spoke on this matter in a different thread Here
    playing with that particular pattern is no faster than with two fingers.

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, you're telling Steve Bailey he's wrong in that case.

9. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Practicing that pattern (it doesnt really matter if you start with your ring or index finger) would help alot! You fingers would get used to work simulataneously, and then when you'll play you wouldnt think what finger to use - it would flow naturally! :)

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I never said he was wrong, I'm just suggesting the possiblity that there are more efficient means of playing with three fingers.

11. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Actually, since Bailey said he believes it to be the most efficient way, that means you are saying he is wrong, whether indirectly or unknowingly.

I'm not saying they're aren't other ways to do it, and I always feel that the musician's comfort has to be included in technique, but I found that what Bailey said was true for my own playing.

12. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    If Bailey thinks it's the most efficient way then he's wrong. Your speed is limited to 2x the speed of your middle finger (as it is used every other pluck)
    321321321 is the most efficient way (or 123123123) because you can go 3x the speed of your slowest finger (each finger is used once in each stroke of 3).

Best way of practicing is finding the common 3 finger right hand patterns and writing a riff using them. Then play the riff unitl you are satisfied with your sound.

13. It may feel more natural for some people, but there's no way that Bailey's technique is the most efficient.

14. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Comfort of the player has to come first and I agree that whichever way works best for the individual is the right way to go. I just feel more comfortable the way Bailey does.