Help with 5-string Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slapa_that_bass, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Please, Please can someone help me!!!,

I have just brought a 5-string bass and i'm tried of de-tuning the low B-string to a low A for playing mostly KoRn. Does and one know if can you get thicker strings to save me from de-tunning it all the time, if you do know can please tell me where!!!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thicker strings won't change that.
    Gauge per se has nothing to do with pitch. You still have do tune down a whole-step to get that low A.

Conklin offers a .0150 B-string, that's the thickest B on the market I think.
  3. .0150! Why not just string your B with an anchor chain!?!?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, I meant .150 of course :D

I think people use it to get a low F# on a 7-string.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I heard JT was searchin' fer a .165 or somethin' like that.....why not just grab a piece o' bridge cable or sumpin'!:D
  6. why on earth do people always type Korn with a capital R? is that supposed to be cool or something??
  7. well, that <i>is</i> the way it's written on the album covers and such...
  8. no, the R is just backwards. maybe since people can't type mirror images, they think capital=backwards. oh well, nevermind...
  9. .150 ?!?!?! Good lord.... the heaviest I've seen is .135.... .150 is insane
  10. gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    No dude, capital r isn't cool. Backwards is the hardcore way. Get with it, jeez.
  11. Why not put one of those HipShot Extender Tuning Keys for the "B" string and set it up to tune down to whatever you want? Four-String players use them all the time to get down to a "D" or sometimes even a "C#".