1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with 5 string specs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    my custumer says he wants a 5 string, however this will be his first bass, so he doesn't know what he wants specs wise, and he is leaving it up to me. he wants to play hard rock/metal (he sayed he wanted a sound like the bass in Disturbeds music). he says he would like to learn how to slap, and do a little of each for the playing styles

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    A person is having a custom bass made for his first bass? Wow... just wow...

3. lol, msg me on msn fool! ill help you out with demension and what now

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Some of the specs will depend on how big his hands are. If he has lumberjack hands then he will want a wide neck and a wide string spacing. If he has smaller hands then he will want a slimmer neck and narrower spacing.

Then what style of music will he play. That will determine whether he wants frets, passive of active electronics, and what type of pickups he should get.

5. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I set my specs based on Warwick basses... either on their website, or on the Rockbass website (Asian-made Warwick basses) there is a PDF file with all of their specs in both metric and SAE.

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Really? Do you have the link.

7. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    This same basic document used to be on the main Warwick page, but it's gone now, for some reason... so I grabbed the link off of the Warwick Rockbass website...

http://www.warwickrockbass.com/rbspecs.pdf

It gives nut and bridge spacing... you can extrapolate your neck dimensions from that. Simply add 3/32" to either side of the fingerboard.

Or, if you want something even easier, put the nut width and bridge spacing into fret-find, and have it print you out a perfect neck template.

http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/

8. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thanx for the link. i am wondering how i should shape the neck. i usually like the fender c shape, but there is this flatback dean edge 5 that has a pretty sweet feel. i was thinking bassing a lot of it off of a music man, because that is the bass seen most often in what he wants to play, maybe leaving the neck thicker showing him, and shapingit down or whatever if he says. i am doing this in woodshop where the tools are, and he is a science teacher there , so it will be very easy to get immediate feedback.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    on fretfind, my comp is only letting me get the fret locations and calculations

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Thanks.

11. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    The bassist from disturbed uses a Traben Havoc. Dual humbuckers, Aguilar obp-3. He also uses Kustom amps. Some weird proprietary bridge, but it is strung through the body. Also the body wood is paulonia.