Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with 5-String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by muzfuz, Nov 27, 2000.

1. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    I got myself that Yamaha RBX765A... and I love that thing, I really do (just got it 3 days ago) I mean its my first five string, and its taking some getting used to, but it has just really increased my range by SO much (cant wait to use it in practice this wed. w/my band!) only one problem:

the B sounds kinda-- how do i say this-- dead. Is there anything I can do to fix that, maybe mess with the intonation or whatever, I dont know... raise/lower pickups maybe? help!

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    maybe the string is just dead. a new set of strings might help. btw, is the string flabby/loose? try raising the action to about 2.5mm or 3mm @ the 12th fret while fretting on the 1st. also, what are you playing it through? how about tweaking the eq?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw this problem in another thread in "Strings." You could try checking the pickups' magnet placement by testing with something that has iron in it, like a paper clip. If the magnet doesn't extend far enough under the B, your B will sound markedly weaker. Hopefully, ubersam has the solution, since new strings are a lot cheaper than a new pickup. If not, aren't the pickups under warranty ?

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now mind you I've never owned a Yamaha bass but I've played on a few in stores (never plugged in). But I make it a point to never buy basses by the same people who make motorcycles, ya know? But best of luck.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You know, I could kill you for writing BS like that on this board, I really could. ;) The quality of my Yamaha exceeds the quality of my MIM Fender, times ten.

So there.

6. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    funny thing, its starting to sound better with age for some reason... now that its used a bit it doesnt sound quite as dead... strange. or maybe its because it fell off my cabinet the other day... who knows.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yamaha make some of the best musical instruments around - their pianos are used a lot in orchestral situations and their brass intruments are highly prized and very expensive.

The TRB series especially the TRB6P and TRB5p are some of the best basses you can buy off the shelf and cost several thousand dollars.They are used by many pros. So this is quite clearly a ridiculous statement.

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    O.k., O.k. It was just a little joke I apologize to all you Yamaha John Woo (Dream Theater) tap masters out there about my motorcycle comment but it was a joke. Everyone has a personel preferance and in all honesty(I know someone is going to disagree here.)I still think the greatest bass made at least for me has to be the MM Stingray 5.

9. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    well buddy, no offense but the way you talked you sounded like you just recently started playing bass and had very little experience...

10. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Naw. About 11yr. Just not a paticular fan of Yamaha and I guess just havent been fortunate to know anyone who likes them or owns one now, thats all.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Like John Pattitucci, Nathan East, Billy Sheehan, Leland Sklar etc, etc..... ? :rolleyes:

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    And while we're dog-piling on FiXeR (and what's with the mixing of caps and lower case these days? If I change my handle to lUmP, will I be cool too?), John MYUNG plays with Dream Theater. John WOO is a movie director ("Broken Arrow," "Face Off" plus lots of earlier movies that DIDN'T suck).

And no, I don't have anything better to do than correct other people's posts.

Carry on.

13. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yeah, yeah, yeah, pick on the new guy. Instead, pick the quote that best suits you and live a little. What the hell is this some kind of sick, perverted fratboy hazing or something.....yawn. Oops, I meant myung... Oh nevermind.

[Edited by FiXeR on 12-12-2000 at 09:38 AM]

14. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    yea i agree, we dont really need to give him a hard time anymore. while we're all in this relativeley old post of mine, could we look at the problem a bit, i mean it might come up again when i change my strings... i dunno...

15. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    << I still think the greatest bass made at least for me has to be the MM Stingray 5. >>

Pssh...you won't take a bass made by a company that manufactures motorcycles but you go all crazy over one that sells Milk Chocolate Candies?

16. Geez guys, he was just kidding. Also notice how easily the post gets off-topic when someone says something, either joking or non-joking, and someone feels they have to defend what ever is being made of *coughs*bruce*coughs*.

Original question:

I would

a)adjust the action, and if that doesn't work...
    b)make sure the magnets on your pickup are working, or
    c)change the string

17. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Really what kind of candies? Heck, I'd probaly love them too.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

m&m's, maybe? get it? :D

actually, i thought the john woo/john myung thing was pretty funny - if john woo played bass he'd probably be a tap meister, like you said.

oh, and i think most yammerhammers blow too - in fact the only yammy's i've ever played that were really worth anything, in my opinion, were the trbp's. and their spacing was too wide for me. every myung yamaha that i've ever played was totally over priced, imo. then again i'm strictly euro when it comes to motorcycles.

what were we talking about again? :D

19. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I have been repeatedly amazed at how much difference the proper set-up can make in tone, not just playability. My B string was pretty floppy (and slightly dead) until I set my neck relief dead-on-the-money. See the latest issue of Bass Player Mag for a complete, step-by-step procedure on how to do this. It's simple. BUT PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT TURN THAT TRUSS ROD MORE THAN 1/10TH OF A TURN WITHOUT RECHECKING THE RELIEF!!!!!! My own bass neck goes from absolutely dead-straight to the proper relief with only 1/10th of a turn of the truss rod. Most of my guitars behave similarly.

If you read the Bass Player article, note that most any spark-plug gapping guage will work well for checking relief. Also, if you can't find a 24 inch straight edge, simply use a capo at the 1st fret and, using your finger, fret a string at the last fret i.e. use the string as the straight edge!

As for string height, the "standard" is 3/32" at the 12th fret for the B or E string, tapering to 1/16" at the G. You can adjust up or down from here depending upon your playing style. But don't forget to recheck your intonation if you make ANY adjustments to string heights or relief!!!

Best of luck.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice, dwynsen.

Also, I would never recommend turning a truss rod more than 1/2 turn TOTAL in a 24 hour period. There are times when you will need to make a change this drastic, such as if the relief on the neck has been out of adjustment for several years and left that way, or if the truss rod is completely loose(if it is completely loose, it is OK to snug it up and then do up to a 1/4 turn).

There are 2 reasons for not doing radical truss rod adjustments all at one time.

[*]While truss rods are steel, necks are wood, and changes in wood happen gradually, not immediately. You can't always see the result a few minutes after adjusting the rod.

[*]When tightening the rod, you run the risk of compressing the wood underneath the nut(or bolt, whatever) or breaking the rod. Making several small adjustments over time greatly alleviate the chances of damaging the rod, nut or wood.